Author Topic: COMMUNICATION: Preferred method of contacting  (Read 2482 times)

SMeustace

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Theat Troupe Theatre Company
  • Experience: College/Graduate
COMMUNICATION: Preferred method of contacting
« on: Aug 04, 2014, 01:45 pm »
If a director, actor, designer or someone working for the production has to contact you for a question or letting you know they'll be late..What's your preferred method of them contacting you?

Phone call? Text? Email?

And does it matter which method they contact you depending on the reason?

Edited to add topic tag - Maribeth
« Last Edit: Aug 06, 2014, 12:11 pm by Maribeth »
"On the first day the lord said....Light cue 1, GO! Then there was light".

Samazon

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: UNC Greensboro, SMA, AEA
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Preferred method of contacting
« Reply #1 on: Aug 04, 2014, 03:51 pm »
If someone is going to be late, I would prefer to receive a phone call as sometimes I don't hear/feel/receive text messages depending where I am or what I am doing. As for questions, I prefer to get them through email, as it is easier to keep a conversation going or include another party if necessary. Plus, you can also document the exchange in a way that is much more easy to access. That being said, I have contacted many people through text message if the conversation is not extremely urgent but needs a response in less than a few hours, does not require a long answer, or if I cannot stop what I am going long enough to make a phone call.
“All things are possible until they are proved impossible and even the impossible may only be so, as of now."

Michelle R. Wood

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • website
  • Affiliations: EMC, East Carolina University
  • Current Gig: Resident Stage Manager at Temple Theatre
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Preferred method of contacting
« Reply #2 on: Aug 04, 2014, 06:00 pm »
I tend to put my phone on silent close to rehearsal starting but I have it out to check time and start my stop watch, so I'm more apt to see a text and respond it to it for late callers. I agree regarding email for questions/notes, unless it's a quick question the director has during rehearsal like "Is the costumer ready to have people down for fittings?" I tend not to like making phone calls during rehearsal because it can be difficult to hear and interrupts the rehearsal more (unless it's a break or I can leave the room).
"Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration." -- Thomas Edison (Harper's Magazine, 1932)