Author Topic: PEOPLE: What do you want to tell Actors???  (Read 17373 times)

jspeaker

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
PEOPLE: What do you want to tell Actors???
« on: Mar 17, 2006, 10:03 pm »
At the DC area SM discussion an actress asked the panel what they would love to tell actors.  I thought that was a great question and have been meaning to bring it here.

I have many but my #1 is

"If you need the line, say line.  If I'm deep in my book I dont know when the pauses are new acting bits or 'Oh shit what's my line' pauses.  And dont just look to the table.  If I am following closely I'm not looking at you and dont see you look at me!  Despite all of this periodically I will feed a line during a pause or catch the actor looking at me... but this is a general Actor to SM friendly request :)  "

What can you guys add??
« Last Edit: Jun 08, 2009, 11:45 pm by PSMKay »
Jess W. Speaker, III
Equity Stage Manager
DC Area AEA Liaison
(301) 335-1498

http://q5go.blogspot.com/

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
What do you want to tell Actors???
« Reply #1 on: Mar 18, 2006, 02:45 am »
Mine would be "Don't be subtle. Whilst I understand subtlty, and am a master in using it, if you want something, say it. Don't try and get me to offer something to you, because I hate manipulation."

RuthNY

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA Eastern Region Stage Manager Councilor
  • Current Gig: ALABASTER
« Reply #2 on: Mar 18, 2006, 09:26 am »
If you come into my office and talk to me privately, after you voice your concern or problem, I'd like you to let me know whether you just needed to "get it out" and "talk about it" or whether you actually want me to address the issue.  (So many times I find actors just want to get something off their chests, and are perfectly happy after they've voiced their concern.  They don't actually need you to DO anything except listen.)
"Be fair with others, but then keep after them until they're fair with you."
--Alan Alda

Aerial

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: The Winter's Tale, Gamm Theatre
« Reply #3 on: Mar 19, 2006, 10:21 pm »
How about:

"If you would like to add a prop for a bit of business, ask.  Don't just pantomime it, and hope I pick up on what you're doing."

Melugin

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #4 on: Mar 19, 2006, 11:51 pm »
I always like the "Be on time!" It is very hard when 4 out of 6 of the brothers (from Seven Brides) are an hour late to rehearsal and you were supposed to choreograph the Social Dance :wink:
If All the World's a Stage, i want to operate the Trap Door!

j-la

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • http://
Calling for Lines
« Reply #5 on: Mar 20, 2006, 01:39 pm »
I always tell my casts they MUST call for the line- otherwise I will not respond. Then I don't. I also don't let anyone else respond either! I accomplish that by gently & with a smile (the most potent of SM weapons)- remind whomever is "helping" that 'hey- that's my job' : >

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Calling for Lines
« Reply #6 on: Mar 20, 2006, 06:24 pm »
Line prompting should always be discussed with the director. Some absolutely HATE when "LINE!" is called, and will get REALLY pee'd off if an actor "Disrupts their creative process" by calling "line". I had one director that wanted the cast to do a loud(ish) tap of their left foot if they needed prompting. It worked,  although I could not usually tell if it was their left foot, any time I heard a loud tap, I would look up, confirm they were stalling and prompt.

The one thing I do hate. People who click or whistle to get your attention, either for a line or for other reasons.

carebear3885q

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 20, 2006, 08:06 pm »
Yeah same.. i can't tell between the "acting" type pauses and the "omg i forgot my line let's just stall till he/she give me my line" pause. Directors hate it when the actors look at me for their lines so we just used to do it so that they continue where they can ,with no line being fed...  and then i would write down when the actor missed a line. That worked for the 2nd run of the show for sure!
Carrie

groovygert

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • http://groovygert.tripod.com/
« Reply #8 on: Mar 21, 2006, 01:56 pm »
"i'm not here to be your best friend, i'm here to get the show where it needs to be and to get the job done." also, "if you can't read a schedule its not my fault. i will use an understudy."

BalletPSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Stage Management Faculty at Baylor University
« Reply #9 on: Mar 21, 2006, 11:02 pm »
Allow yourself enough time to get to the theatre -- leave room for things like bad traffic or weather, finding parking, taking your coat off and getting settled.

Call time is the time you are to be at the theatre ready to work, not running into the building!

In short, BE ON TIME!
Stage managing is getting to do everything your mom told you not to do - read in the dark, sit too close to the TV, and play with the light switches!

jspeaker

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 21, 2006, 11:22 pm »
How about...  I am on your side!  I am not out to get you!  If it seems like I am, bring it to my attention!!!
Jess W. Speaker, III
Equity Stage Manager
DC Area AEA Liaison
(301) 335-1498

http://q5go.blogspot.com/

Erin_Candice

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cafepress.com/theatregeek
  • Affiliations: None... but open to invitations!
Re: Calling for Lines
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2006, 04:01 pm »
Quote from: "mc"
Line prompting should always be discussed with the director.  

I totally agree.  In my experience you need to just be on top of it.  I have had very prominent directors become disgruntled if a line is called (or stalled for) and the SM table wastes even a breath before giving the line.  They want the timing to go like this "Line""Blah, Blah, Blah."  Not "Line" "Blah, Blah, Blah."   This makes it hard to do other duties like prop tracking, but it's what the director wants.  Having a third person dedicated to being on book is always a huge help if you can get it.

As for the original topic...  How about "If you have to say you're not being a diva, you probably are."
"At three minutes past eight, you must dream."
~Sir Ralph Richardson

Go to http://www.cafepress.com/theatregeek NOW!

stgmgr4life

• Tourist
    • View Profile
Re: What do you want to tell Actors???
« Reply #12 on: Jun 17, 2006, 04:47 pm »
I love the, "Oh I didn't get that memo" Well if I put it on the call board, announced it at the beginning or end of the rehearsal and put it at the bottom of the sign in sheet then which memo did you not get?

Littleactress87

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sep 08, 2006, 10:34 am »
For some reason when I was SM for the show Beauty and the Beast I had to keep telling the actors backstage "If you can see the audience they can see you too" They would stand in front of an open curtain in plain view of the audience and I had to whisper to them to get out of the way. I thought that was common knowledge but I guess not.

thehayworth

• Contributor
  • Uh oh.
    • View Profile
    • Propaganda Pipeline
  • Current Gig: Santaland Diaries
« Reply #14 on: Sep 08, 2006, 11:21 am »
I just want you to take your line notes out of my hand.  I do not want to hear how you know you did that or "did I say that?  I didn't say that"  or "I know I said that line."  I do not want to hear about your line studying habits ......   just take your line notes!  and go home!
"This time for sure."