Author Topic: PEOPLE: The Chatty SM  (Read 5129 times)

Thespi620

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
PEOPLE: The Chatty SM
« on: Feb 12, 2009, 08:52 am »
I've been putting off posting this, hoping things would get better, but they haven't.

I'm currently one of two ASMs on a college show.  The SM and Director are both students.  I have the least experience of the 3 on the SM team, the other ASM has the most--but the SM is older and therefore got the SM spot.  The two of them are wonderful people, we're all pretty good friends, but I just can't stand rehearsing with them.  The director will be trying out a few new stagings, giving blocking notes verbally, and the two of them are texting (another huge issue at my school, but that's a different thread....) or telling stories or gossiping--and then when an actor calls 'line' and I'm writing down the new blocking, both of them look up and get flustered and then the SM says something snide to me like 'you should really be on book you know.'

I just don't know what to do-or if there is anything that could be done--I feel like I'm the only person who is actually working at most rehearsals, like I'm the only one who cares.  Any advice?  So far it hasn't caused any major problems, but I'm worried for tech, when it may prove more disastrous than I'd like to think.
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2009, 02:33 am by PSMKay »
[The SM is] a very gifted, slightly eccentric master mechanic [keeping] a cantankerous, highly complex machine running at top efficiency by talking to it, soothing it, & lovingly fixing whatever is broken. 
-J. Michael Gillette

Amie

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • Amie S. Bajlaieh  - Stage Manager. Producer. Artist.
  • Affiliations: Crossroads Theatre Company, Rutgers University
  • Current Gig: Producing Associate, Crossroads Theatre Company
Re: The Chatty SM
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2009, 12:03 pm »
This is by far so frustrating.

My first approach would be to go to an advisor.  Being academic, I assume there is an advisor/supervisor and this is being graded to a certain extent.  My approach would be, "This is the situation with the other students SMs/Director, etc...how do you suggest I approach this?"  similar to what you are doing here. I've been in this situation, with a designer in an academic setting. A designer who was a friend of mine, and rather go the "friend route," I chose to address it in a more distant but professional way, as best I could. (What differs here is that the designer and I were both non-students, hired in professionally. So, even these sort of situations happen to those who should know better).

How approachable are these other managers?  Can you address them?  Is this affecting the cast?  If remarks are made about the need for "you to be on book," etc., there might need to address that their lack of focus should both not be blamed on you, as we all have jobs to do and need to focus on rehearsals, etc.

This is so frustrating.  I know, it's easier said than done to approach this. Unfortunately, not all stage managers practice the same way, and some appear more responsible than others.

I would say your best bet is to address it to them if not to go to an advisor for assistance, as this is a tricky situation....

Let us know how it turns out, please.
« Last Edit: Feb 12, 2009, 12:05 pm by Baj »
~ Amie ~

“This whole creation is essentially subjective, and the dream is the theater where the dreamer is at once: scene, actor, prompter, stage manager, author, audience, and critic.”

Wandering Ninja

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2009, 04:02 pm »
I know when I have underlings(ASMs, ect..) I normally assign them specific duties; so you might check with the SM and ask for clarification of what your duties are. Or tell the SM that you are having difficulty taking blocking notes as well as keeping up with the line notes and ask for help.  These can be away to bring up the problem without accusing anyone of wrong doing (which is a good way to bring up a problem).

Other resources you might have: the producer, the mentor (to SMs), Alpha Psi Omega cast (if they are on campus), theater club leadership. These people normally have had enough experience to provide some good advice for the specific environment you are working in.
"Nothing worthwhile was ever accomplished without the will to start, the enthusiasm to continue and, regardless of temporary obstacles, the persistence to complete" Waite Phillips

Libby

« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2009, 04:20 pm »
It's hard to be working with someone who you have a problem with, especially when that person is a friend of yours. I second baj's suggestion of keeping the conversation away from the personal. Don't approach the SM as a friend, but as her ASM and maybe not even bring up the texting/gossiping. Maybe something along the lines of, "I'm having a hard time being on book AND taking down blocking. I really feel like I'm not being able to focus on one without losing the other."

Personally I don't understand why you are taking down blocking in the first place. The only time I have done it as an ASM is when the SM had to leave the room, or is dealing with something else of more importance at that moment. Am I wrong? But this is the PSM's job.

Have the three of you sat down and divided responsibilities. If not, maybe the approach is to ask if you can. Who is keeping track of the time for breaks? Who is taking all the notes about props? Costumes? Blocking? Being on book? etc, etc. If you have already done that the path might be to ask for a second sit down, "Hey, Henrietta  seems to be getting swamped with the props and costume tracking, since I noticed I've been taking blocking more and more. Is there anyway we can try to split up the work so it is easier on all of us." Approach it as if to solve the problem and not point blame/get in a fight.

Unfortunately this problem will most likely happen again in the future. I find that all of my friends are theatre people that i tend to work with a lot. There are 4 kinds of people that you'll work with. Those who are a pain in the arse both on and offstage. Those you like as people, but hate working with. Those you work really well with, but could never see yourselves as friends. With the best being those you are really great friends who you also have a great working relationship with. We all want the latter 2 (since it is never a bad thing to just have a great working relationship), but it just doesn't always work out that way. Especially in a collegiate setting, my advice is to learn what you can with these women and leave the rest. At frustrating times remember that you are learning what NOT to do.

Thespi620

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2009, 05:07 pm »
Thanks so much for all of your input!

To answer questions:

There is a faculty adviser on the piece, but she is never at rehearsals.  If I can find her, I may talk to her, but she doesn't have any direct effect on what goes on in the room.  Personally, I had been thinking about approaching the director (who is also an SM and I know has noticed/brought up the texting & chatting in the room), but I don't want to cause drama, as the group of SMs in my department can get a bit "Mean Girls" at times.  :-\

In terms of why I'm doing blocking & lines--because the other ASM and I both want to go into stage management in the future, the SM is treating us almost more like co-SMs than ASMs, so we do lines & blocking along with her.  Typically when we get into run throughs, the ASMs are just on book/taking line notes, so that should be less of a problem in the next few days.  I had been paying extra attention to blocking precisely because the SM wasn't, and was asking me when & how actor A got to the chair, or when actor B entered.... ???

We have a run through tonight, hopefully that will go a little smoother than things have been because there will probably be designers' faculty advisers (and maybe the main adviser too) in the room, plus everyone is a little more professional on the nights of runs.  If the distractions persist after tonight, I'll see if there's a way to bring it up to the director or the other ASM. 

I'll let you know what happens, thanks again!

[The SM is] a very gifted, slightly eccentric master mechanic [keeping] a cantankerous, highly complex machine running at top efficiency by talking to it, soothing it, & lovingly fixing whatever is broken. 
-J. Michael Gillette

Amie

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • Amie S. Bajlaieh  - Stage Manager. Producer. Artist.
  • Affiliations: Crossroads Theatre Company, Rutgers University
  • Current Gig: Producing Associate, Crossroads Theatre Company
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2009, 07:08 pm »
RE: blocking and lines notes.

In my experience, I've always had my ASMs take the bulk of the blocking and perhaps, as SM, I'd do line notes. Or have the ASMs do both (though NOT at the same time).   There's no hard and fast rule that says ASMs or PSMs or SMs do it or don't. I think it varies on production and management arrangement.

Good luck to you!
~ Amie ~

“This whole creation is essentially subjective, and the dream is the theater where the dreamer is at once: scene, actor, prompter, stage manager, author, audience, and critic.”

Tempest

• Permanent Resident
  • Learn to love chaos, then tame it.
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Center For Puppetry Arts
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2009, 10:31 pm »
<snip>  I had been paying extra attention to blocking precisely because the SM wasn't, and was asking me when & how actor A got to the chair, or when actor B entered.... ???

</snip>

I know it doesn't help your problem any, but good for you!  Good job noticing that someone wasn't doing their job and deciding to pick up the slack instead of letting it just all fall apart!  It sucks, but sometimes we're just stuck working with people who aren't doing a good job (or don't appear to be) and we can't get rid of.  I applaud you for taking the route that does the show good, instead of being petty and doing only as much as it seems everyone else is doing.
Now, I wish you good luck in getting your situation straightened out.  I can't give you any better advice than everyone else already has.
Jessica: "Of course I have a metric size 4 dinglehopper in my kit!  Who do you think I am?"