Author Topic: PEOPLE: Performer is creator  (Read 3825 times)

hbelden

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Professional
PEOPLE: Performer is creator
« on: Aug 03, 2009, 06:23 pm »
I'm working on a workshop production.  The only performer is also one of the musicians/lyricists creating the show.  I haven't worked with anybody involved with the show before, though they have all worked together. I'm just sort of following the lead they set, not really paying attention to break times, etc.  I'm protecting the PA but otherwise just playing along.

Has anyone else been in this situation?  Anything I should watch out for?

Thanks,
--
Heath Belden

"I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right." - Sondheim
--

thankyou5

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
Re: PEOPLE: Performer is creator
« Reply #1 on: Aug 03, 2009, 07:42 pm »
I did a one man show with the wife as the director, several of the performer's friends as the designers and the performer was also one of the producers.  A few issues came up during the show. 

I found open communication to be a bit challenging as the performer and director would discuss and change things without remembering to include me.  Maintaining the show became a non-issue as the performer would do whatever he wanted and I just had to go along. By the time the show closed, I had a very good relationship with the performer as each night before and sometimes after the show we would hang out.  This helped me gauge his mood, which greatly effected the tone of the performance and also gave him a small reminder that even though it was a one man show there were really two of us creating the show each night, as I ran sound and lights.

One other thing that you may not run into but I did, was disagreements between the non-performer producer and the performer.  I found this to be a bit difficult to navigate because the producer wanted me to "tattle" on the performer if things were not going well, which they weren't. 

Hope some of this helps. 

Good Luck!

ReyYaySM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Freelance
« Reply #2 on: Aug 03, 2009, 09:47 pm »
I'm currently working on a one-man show where the actor is the writer of the piece.  He's been doing the show once every year or two over the last ten years.  I worked on a one-woman show earlier this season where the actor was also the writer of the piece.  It was a new production that had been work-shopped once. 

On my current show, I've worked with the actor and the director several times before.  When we get to a natural stopping point near a break, I call the break (after checking with the director) and they kind of take a break but often continue their dialogue as ideas come to them.  My asm and I are free to take our breaks, but I usually hang out and listen.  However, the director is really good about telling me anything that they come up with over the break.  And he is really relaxed and our 10s are often 15s.  For me, as long as the actor is happy, I just go with the flow. 

On my show earlier this season, I didn't know the actor/playwright or the director.  They were a bit more formal about the breaks, and I called them like I would in any show.  The actor always had the freedom to tell me if she needed one earlier/longer than what was called.  And as a side note, she had an uncanny sense of time and knew when an hour twenty had passed and we were due for a break without looking at a watch. 

In both shows, I'm keeping careful track of the cuts/changes that are being made to the script so that the actor/writer and the theatre have an accurate version of the script used for the production.  I also find that while the relationship with the actor/writer is very professional, it's a lot more personal than when working with a larger cast.  In terms of show maintenance, on the show I did this spring she would riff and try new things, but she (and the director) had me keep an eye on pace.  Just keep an open dialogue with the actor and the director. 

Keep us posted; I hope all goes well with your show!

dallas10086

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 2009, 01:18 pm »
I did a new musical here in Charlotte years ago when the writer had to step in to fill a role; his wife was also the producer and together they owned the company. I went in treating him as any other actor when he was acting, and treating him as the author when decisions about the score/script needed to be made. When he showed up late for rehearsals I made a note; if he was late for a production meeting I made a note. He told me later in a recommendation he appreciated that from me: the rules were the same for everyone with no preferential treatment.
Later I worked on Women Who Steal with two producers/directors as the only female acting roles. We communicated expectations upfront, but one of them was trying to step into a producer role when she had no place, and later tried to change the director's blocking during rehearsals when the director wasn't present. She was continually angry with me for not 'letting' her change things as she saw fit, when the only role she was supposed to fill was that of actress. She made the show a nightmare and was later dropped as a producer from the company when she verbally abused a house employee publically (and loudly).
Communication from the first meeting is vital: ask how things should go, how flexible with breaks, etc. you can be...especially if it's not a one-man show or an actor is playing other roles (director, producer, etc.). Then have someone above you back you up in case things get out of your hands.

riotous