Author Topic: PEOPLE: Issue with actors...suggestions?  (Read 4027 times)

dardanius

• New to Town
    • View Profile
PEOPLE: Issue with actors...suggestions?
« on: Mar 02, 2008, 07:05 pm »
Hey everybody,

I'm a high school stage manager, and I'm stage managing our middle school's production of bye, bye, birdie. I recently became aware of some tension between some of the 8th graders, centering around one girl. It turns out that the reason behind all the tension is this girl doesn't want to be in the show, hates the show, and was forced into it by her parents (she didn't get cut because we don't make cuts in our musicals). The other eighth graders love the show and are really upset by this girls feelings towards the show and hesitancy to get involved in things. The other girls say if she doesn't quit the show by Tuesday, they're going to tell the director...my question is, do I go with my gut instinct to tell the director of this situation before they do?

Thanks for any input you can give,
Darcy
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2009, 02:03 am by PSMKay »
[Darcy]

bradygonsalves

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
Re: Issue with actors...suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2008, 08:16 pm »
You are the high schooler in this situation. I think it's important that you stay above the drama and focus on doing what's right for the show. Your gut instinct is right on in my estimation. The director should be made aware of the situation, and coming from you it will be an unbiased account of what is going on. The director is the person that will need to deal with the ramifications, not you, and I think you have done well to stay on course with your responsibility. Kudos to you!
Member AEA since 1998.
Member Philadelphia Area Liaison Committee 2003-2006.

LCSM

• Permanent Resident
  • @LuciaCorak
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2008, 09:01 pm »
Agreed. The director should hear about all the drama that happens in the theatre ASAP so he or she can fix it before it blows into something way out of controll. Always remember that you are the link between the cast and the director and that you should saty neutral when dealing with situations like this.

dardanius

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2008, 09:40 pm »
Thanks to both of you for your advice. I went ahead and emailed the director to let him know there was a conflict that I wanted to speak to him about ASAP.

Thanks!

[On a sidenote, this whole thing came to my attention through facebook, of all things. It amazes and disturbs me how big a role it plays in our lives!]
[Darcy]

riotous