Author Topic: PEOPLE: INSANE!!! I can't believe this (ASMs with conflicts)  (Read 3218 times)

starsineyes

• New to Town
    • View Profile
So the deal is- I was given 2 names of possible ASM's and because they actually have worked in the space. But when I was talking with them about their availability they wanted to say I can be here for that but I can't be there for that. I thought to myself then why did you say you can help or do you realize that you have to be at tech to know what is going on!!!!!!!! So now, I just want to scream. I mean I know I am dealing with Students but when I was a student during tech I had to make sure I was there. The program I just came out of even the actors had to help strike the set...which took a whole Sunday. I just have high standards I guess or am I asking to much...
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2009, 01:04 am by PSMKay »

Aerial

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: The Winter's Tale, Gamm Theatre
  • Experience: Professional
Re: INSANE!!! I can't believe this
« Reply #1 on: Sep 15, 2007, 01:33 am »
Yes, conflicts are frustrating, but the way you've phrased it some important details on how these two were brought on board are unclear.  This sounds like a last minute thing.  Is it a case of "I can do this, but I'm already committed to this..." because it's later in the process (you're already in rehearsal for this show, yes?), and they were approached to see if they could lend a hand because they already have a relationship with the theatre?  Because that's a different thing than if they were brought onto the process in advance.  The question for you comes down to how badly do you need an ASM.  If you really need one, and these 2 are your only options, there are ways to work around their conflicts (and this is assuming that the conflicts are unchangeable). They could both perform the same track...if one of them has a conflict for tech, the other could take it through tech and then be shadowed...  There are a lot of options for dealing with a less than optimal situation like this.  I would love to know more about the details.

starsineyes

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 22, 2007, 04:29 pm »
I got brought into the process late. It is just a showcase where th actors or groups already have everything done. Each group has 30 min. to tech and have 17 min to perform. I was given these names at least 3 weeks in advance. I believe the misunderstanding took place when the TD asked his class who wanted to help out. I don't think these kids knew about the how much time it was all going to take- but good news I have found someone who is going to help...I am now excited to be apart of this...not so much stressed out..

Aerial

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: The Winter's Tale, Gamm Theatre
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #3 on: Sep 22, 2007, 11:03 pm »
Glad to hear that things are going better now.

riotous