Author Topic: PEOPLE: I am out of solutions (actor with anxiety)  (Read 6614 times)

Tempest

• Permanent Resident
  • Learn to love chaos, then tame it.
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Center For Puppetry Arts
  • Experience: Professional
PEOPLE: I am out of solutions (actor with anxiety)
« on: Nov 03, 2008, 12:01 pm »
Okay, guys, I've got a...unique problem that I'm at my wits end over.
I have an actor, well, acutally the understudy, in my current show who has an anxiety disorder and has either thrown up or visibly almost thrown up and had to stop singing every performance he's been in.  One night, he actually threw up on stage during the opening number.  
He's on medication for his anxiety, and his dosage has been adjusted, but this hasn't helped.  
I've fed him Tumms, I've fed him mint, I've fed him Pepto.  I've tried pumping him up, I've tried threatening, we've tried prayer, and we've tried new age calming techniques.  We've run a number or two before opening house, and we've let him wander out in street clothes before the performance and "get to know" the audience.  Nothing seems to work, and I'm getting really weary of worrying when it's going to happen every night.
We keep the mop and some rags ready backstage and I keep in continual contact with my crew and let them know what's going on on stage.  We're as prepared as we can be, but we never know when it's going to happen and disrupt the show.  My other actors are anxious all the time, wondering when it's going to happen and how they're going to cover.
He's scheduled to be in about eight more performances, and there's no way to get the original actor back in, as he's rehearsing for another show during these performances.
Anyone got any suggestions I haven't tried, yet?
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2009, 02:48 am by PSMKay »
Jessica: "Of course I have a metric size 4 dinglehopper in my kit!  Who do you think I am?"

madiobrien

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Mad Dog Theatrical Productions
  • Affiliations: Texas A&M, USITT
  • Current Gig: Texas A&M & San Pedro Playhouse
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Re: I am out of solutions
« Reply #1 on: Nov 03, 2008, 01:09 pm »
THis problem is way worse than mine but i had something a little similar,  I had a crew member that was Bipolar and was constantly in a bad mood, or yelling at someone. I tried everything... yelling back, threatening, calming. everything you listed, but nothing worked, finally i just gave up and it stopped.  Her thing was when some gave her attention she got nervous and thus created a huge dramatic scene. So my solution was to ignore her and when it was appropriate to talk to her or i need something from her i acted like it didn't matter if it got done or like i could care less.  She is now one of my mose dependable crew members, i just gotta deal with her the right way. 
As for your situation, idk if ignoring the situation is really going to solve any problems. :(
Mad Dog.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #2 on: Nov 03, 2008, 03:48 pm »
Anxiety disorders are major medical conditions - and there are specific medications that can help his situation.  He either needs to seek medical/psychological help, or perhaps bow out of situations that exasperate his condition, which may include performing.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

PurrKitten

• New to Town
  • Life is too short to be too serious
    • View Profile
    • Off Stage West
« Reply #3 on: Nov 03, 2008, 04:23 pm »
Anxiety disorders are major medical conditions - and there are specific medications that can help his situation.  He either needs to seek medical/psychological help, or perhaps bow out of situations that exasperate his condition, which may include performing.

I have to second this statement.  I have some experience in this area, and your actor needs to consult his/her medical professional to find out what other treatment options can be tried - and soon!  Obviously, whatever is being used right now is not working 100%.  This can be a very touchy area for you to approach with sensitivity because even talking about it can bring on more anxiety.  The actor may be anxious about being anxious!  Good luck to both of you.

sievep

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AGMA
« Reply #4 on: Nov 04, 2008, 12:30 pm »
Just to throw in my two cents, I think you are doing the right thing by being as prepared as you can be for what seems to be the eventual outcome.  Accepting the inevitable may help you to deal with the situation when it comes about, rather than spending energy trying to stop it from happening, which you actually have no control over.  Are there places onstage to hide trash cans?  Can you make sure you have them waiting just offstage in addition to mops, etc?  If you had an actor that had a stomach flu and had real concerns about throwing up but was going to go on come hell or high water, what would you do?

With that being said . . .if he truly does throw up EVERY time he is onstage, I would consider that a health concern for everyone in your cast and crew, and they all need as much concern as your understudy.  I know I'm treading on dangerous ground here, but I'll let you read between the lines and I'll also second Matthew's advice.
"This lovely light, it lights not me" - Orson Welles

zayit shachor

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://thankyouten.blogspot.com
« Reply #5 on: Nov 04, 2008, 01:00 pm »
I have had a lot of experience dealing with this problem, and here are some suggestions of things I've discovered over the past few months dealing with worsening clinical anxiety myself.

Adjusting anxiety medication is tricky business, and can take weeks to get it right.  Most of these suggestions are things to try in this situation, where you may not have another person to go onstage, and where there are only a few shows left in the run.  Most of them are not ideal, but I'm giving them under the impression that you need to try anything and everything you can think of to get this guy onstage.

Is the actor on as-needed anxiety drugs (xanax, clonapan) as well as long-term drugs (zoloft, lexapro)?  If not, he should consider getting a prescription for something that he can take right before the show.  If he is on them and they don't help, have him check with his doctor to see if he can take a larger dose.  8 more shows of bigger doses shouldn't hurt him too much in terms of building up tolerance, and if it gets him through the show then that's a good thing.  These drugs might make him sleepy, but that's better than throwing up.  He also might want to look into anti-nausea medication - compazine and reglan are both good ones (he needs a prescription).

Work with him to plan out what to do if he starts to feel nauseous or thinks he's going to throw up.  In my experience, it is MUCH easier to deal with anxeity-related nausea if you have an exit plan, so to speak.  sievep's suggestion of hiding trashcans onstage or having them immediately offstage is excellent.  If the actor knows exactly what to do when the major anxiety hits, it will help him cope with it.

Does he have a loved one who could be with him offstage?  Having a person there who he can sit with and receive encouragement from could be extremely helpful.  Personally, spending time with my mom always helps to deal with anxiety.  Does he have someone similar whose presence could help to calm him down?

Chewing gum helps release a lot of tension and also relieves nausea.  Again, not ideal to send an actor onstage chewing gum, but it's worth a shot if nothing else is working.  Spearmint is best.

Can he adjust what he eats in the several hours before the show?  Another not-ideal solution of going onstage hungry, but it might work if he's willing to try it.

I have a recording of the Dalai Lama doing a healing chant that I've found extremely helpful when I need to calm down.  If you like I can email it to you.  The track is about an hour and a half long.

Is he seeing a therapist regularly?  See if he can schedule sessions right before each show.  If he's able to talk and release pent-up anxiety, he may not feel so anxious going onstage.

Finally, have him go see his doctor ASAP (either psychiatrist or general practitioner).  The doctor will be able to assess whether or not he should be onstage.  If the doctor tells him that he shouldn't be in this situation right now, he should take that advice.

I sympathize with this actor.  It's so hard to be dealing with such intense anxiety that you're unable to work.  If you have someone else who can do the role, I would recommend that you discuss it with the director and the actor who is having trouble - it will be upsetting for the actor but healthier for him in the long run, and also better for the rest of the cast.  I agree with sievep that the rest of the cast needs to be considered too.

I hope that you and your cast and crew are not getting angry at the actor - as Matthew said, anxiety is a serious medical problem, and the actor can't help what's happening to him, and probably feels guilty and ashamed.  PurrKitten is absolutely right that he's feeling anxious about being anxious - it might be worsening his symptoms.  If everyone deals with him with understanding and kindness, it will help him a lot.
« Last Edit: Nov 04, 2008, 01:12 pm by zayit shachor »

stagemonkey

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 04, 2008, 02:55 pm »
I don't have any more ideas than what others have just said.  But i just wanted to add in that while you are looking out for him and want to help him there is the rest of the cast to worry about and not to even mention the audience.  I know some people that if they see another vomit they in turn have a similar reaction, and you don't really want to see the audience start vomitting during the show.

Tempest

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 05, 2008, 01:48 pm »
Thanks for the advice, folks.  In an effort to keep him from getting anxious about being anxious I've kept things on sort of a down-low, only putting in rehearsal reports what absolutley needs to be there without going into unnecessary detail.
I'll see how he does with tomorrow's show, and then I may need to have a chat with the producer.  Like I said before, I'm at my wits end, and any time I approach him about the issue he absolutely freaks out, which is not helping his performance any.
This is the said actor's second "shift" doing the role.  We discovered this problem the last time he performed for a week, and when he went back to New York for a month, he did talk with his doctor (don't know if it was a medical doctor, psychatrist, psychologist or what).  He had already been on medication and the dosage was adjusted.  But now he's back through the end of the run and the adjustment hasn't helped.
We do have garbage cans just off stage, but hiding them onstage is not an option; it's a VERY open set.
His dressing room-mate is a very close friend, and is doing a lot to help keep him calm and anxiety free.
I am going to see if he's willing to try the gum option, and talk to him about going back to the doctor or therapist.
And I am keeping an eye out for the rest of the cast and crew.
Jessica: "Of course I have a metric size 4 dinglehopper in my kit!  Who do you think I am?"

zayit shachor

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://thankyouten.blogspot.com
« Reply #8 on: Nov 05, 2008, 06:18 pm »
Sounds like you're doing everything you can.  Hope everything works out okay!

Tempest

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 07, 2008, 11:52 pm »
If anyone was wanting an update, tonight's show went reasonably well.  The actor in question went back to his doctor over the "weekend" and was on new happy pills.
We had one urup-y moment on his first solo line, which another actor picked up and covered completely smoothly.  He struggled with the choruses of the first few numbers, but didn't miss another solo line, and everything was fine from there on out.
I do have a major tension head/back/neck ache from willing, "Not tonight, not tonight, not tonight, not tonight!" all show, as hard as I could.  Three more shows.  I'll take this level of performance, seeing what the alternative has been!

VSM

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
« Reply #10 on: Nov 08, 2008, 12:48 am »
Fingers crossed, knock wood, spun around three times...
Good shows ~
Ordo ab chao