Author Topic: PEOPLE: Humorous story I had to share (cameras in the audience)  (Read 4945 times)

Nbayard

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: NIU, Stage Coach Players
So, I'm SMing A Midsummer Night's Dream at my school and we're closing tonight - but last nights events made my day!

We're about 3/4 of the way through our Part 1 which was in Act III, when my actor playing Puck comes to me and says, "There's a guy front row center who has a camera, can I play with him?"  Since the director loves the actors to have interaction with the audience, I said sure since he does stuff with the audience anyways at that point.  So, I'm sitting there waiting for what he's going to do.  He runs on to say that Helena is coming and he walks straight up to the guy, grabs the camera holds it in the air and says "Lord, what fools these mortals be" and throws it back at him and runs up into the big tree that is our set.  It was the funniest thing.  Apparently the man was an Uncle of one of the actors and was filming the show the whole time. At Intermission, the House Managers had asked him to put the camera away, but it apparently came back out and Flute/Thisby told him to put it away in Act II.  It was distracting them so much the actors were getting upset.  But that moment of Puck's made my night!

Thought I would share :P
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2009, 02:08 am by PSMKay »

smalltimeSM

• New to Town
  • "Yea Komakozie Theatre!"
    • View Profile
Re: Humorous story I had to share
« Reply #1 on: Mar 29, 2008, 04:23 pm »
I love how the audience listens to the pre-show announcements.  If it wasn't for the we told you so factor, I would say: "WHY WAST THE TIME OF PREPARING THIS SPEECH, THEY DON'T LISTEN ANYWAY!" 

p.s.  how ya been, long time no see/talk/ect...

Nbayard

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: NIU, Stage Coach Players
« Reply #2 on: Mar 29, 2008, 05:26 pm »
Yeah, and our pre-show announcement is the director going on-stage and doing it live.

Not bad...

dramabrit58

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 30, 2008, 10:25 am »
Hi everyone,  It has been a while since I have logged on because I have been busy in rehearsal and performance for The Little Scottish Play.  We are doing it in three quarter thrust and at Friday's performance we had two high schoolers in the audience texting on their cell phones.  I was none to happy because the light from the phone was annoying me from the booth and definitely annoying the actors who were doing their stuff very close by.  At intermission I went and gave them a piece of my mind.....  I am usually so quiet :):) Fortunately they were with a parent who subsequently removed the phones from them.  Act II.... continued in peace and quiet.  SM'ing this production has been challenging with the different personalities and ages from 10 to 70. 
:)

Fitz

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 31, 2008, 09:31 am »
I think my favourite part of that story is where the actor had enough respect for the SM to check in with you first!!! I adore actors who check in before launching off into unexplored territory. Sounds like it was very well-handled by all!

va;en__bfm

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 08, 2008, 10:45 am »
I love it when actors come to me to ask for whatever they need- I definitely think that some actors (at least at my school) are way too disrespectful and just too full of themselves. They don't realize that just as the show normally can't go on without them, it can't go on without us either.