Author Topic: JOB DESCRIPTION: not needed until tech week?  (Read 7626 times)

kdshort1

• New to Town
  • Hi! :)
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Alumni of SVSU, Member of Pit & Balcony
  • Current Gig: In between: Next is The Cockfight Play at Pit & Balcony
  • Experience: Community Theatre
Re: JOB DESCRIPTION: not needed until tech week?
« Reply #15 on: Mar 04, 2015, 11:55 pm »
This is all confirming what I thought, so thanks for that.

Apparently this particular theatre works this way often, with an SM coming in during tech only.  I'd be peeing my pants.

How can you learn the rhythm of the show, how can you practice your art when you aren't given any time?

Also, who's taking notes and making schedules and communicating with everyone? (I guess the director in this case).

Thanks for all your feedback! :)

ShyIverson

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
Re: JOB DESCRIPTION: not needed until tech week?
« Reply #16 on: Jun 01, 2015, 04:06 pm »
I've been in this situation several times before--every time was at a summer stock theatre, though, which always seems to be a bit chaotic.
During rehearsal for the show, the stage manager took complete charge of everything in rehearsal, and I worked on building the show--sets/costumes/etc. 
Before tech, the stage manager and I had several meetings where we went over the show--sort of a "heads up" to the big elements that I needed to be aware of.  Basically, once added at tech, I become much more "run crew" and "scene change" leader, rather than ASM.  I was rarely on com, often running around moving scenery and trying to keep backstage running as smooth as possible.  Since it was summer stock, most of the actors were taking on the additional tasks of moving scenery, so I was responsible for making sure they all remembered their cues and their responsibilities--as well as my own. 
It usually all worked very well and I didn't feel that I suffered because I wasn't in rehearsal the entire time, although there was a steep learning curve the first day of tech.