Author Topic: VENUES: Outdoor Theatre  (Read 6011 times)

SMscuba

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Community Theatre
VENUES: Outdoor Theatre
« on: Jun 28, 2014, 02:57 am »
I'm stage managing my first outdoor show this summer. It's a Shakespeare show that will be in a different park for each performance.

Does anyone have advice or tips for doing outdoor theatre?

Edited to add topic tag. - Maribeth
« Last Edit: Jul 01, 2014, 10:07 pm by Maribeth »

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Outdoor Theatre
« Reply #1 on: Jun 28, 2014, 03:14 am »
have you done a search? there have been at least two discussions on this topic -

On_Headset

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #2 on: Jun 30, 2014, 01:44 pm »
1. Don't.
2. Oh god, don't.

;)

Michelle R. Wood

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • website
  • Affiliations: EMC, East Carolina University
  • Current Gig: Resident Stage Manager at Temple Theatre
« Reply #3 on: Jul 01, 2014, 10:25 am »
Raingear: always have it with you. Ponchos or raincoats, yes, but also plastic bags for electronics and/or other fragile objects.

Always have sunscreen, sunglasses, maybe a hat. If you're fair-skinned like me you may wish to even bring a light jacket to help with the sun exposure.

Have a bookbag or bag with containers you can pack everything in quickly. Since you're traveling from place to place you want to have everything you might need with you, which includes first aid, water, snacks, sewing kit, extra batteries, your flashlight, etc. Wear good firm shoes you're comfortable standing in for long periods of time that you don't mind getting muddy, dirty, possibly wet. Have an extra pair of socks in your bag in case you need to change quickly (extra clothes in general are good).

Constantly check weather reports. Find out what your company's bad weather policy is: not just rain but also extreme heat, tornadoes, hurricanes, etc. Know who makes the decision on a cancellation or delay, when this decision needs to be made, and how to alert your audience. Find out if the locations you're going to have any special rules regarding guests (open containers, coolers, etc.) Know where your actors will be able to change or if you'll need to setup your own changing station. Be prepared for audiences to show up way early. Also find out what other activities might be scheduled at the park for the same day: political rallies, fairs, kids days, puppet shows, etc.
"Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration." -- Thomas Edison (Harper's Magazine, 1932)

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
« Reply #4 on: Jul 01, 2014, 05:04 pm »
Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate

Have an exit strategy. 

kokobear

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #5 on: Jul 01, 2014, 08:29 pm »
One thing I found helpful at Legend of Daniel Boone, back in the day, was to have specific designation packages for various inclement weather:

Rain Pace: usually declared during a performance when light rain is imminent or begun. Means to pick up dialogue and slow down movement--dance or combat

Rain show:  Usually called prior to performance, when rain threatens.  Dialogue and dance cuts occur, pick up pace, slow down movement.

Humid Show:  Certain costume pieces cut, dance cuts, special attention to combat scenes, special attention paid to powder and prepare for misfires.

Michelle R. Wood

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • website
  • Affiliations: EMC, East Carolina University
  • Current Gig: Resident Stage Manager at Temple Theatre
Re: VENUES: Outdoor Theatre
« Reply #6 on: Jul 07, 2014, 01:54 pm »
Those are great levels of play kokobear: we could have really used them in the shows I did last year outdoors.
"Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration." -- Thomas Edison (Harper's Magazine, 1932)

Maggie K

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
« Reply #7 on: Jul 08, 2014, 10:34 am »
It may sound strange, but baby wipes or face wipes are good to have on hand if there's no running water nearby.  Being able to keep your hands clean is wonderful.  Also, wiping down your arms or face in the heat of the day feels really good.  I also bring extra sunscreen and bug spray in case someone in the cast or crew has forgotten.
I like the ephemeral thing about theatre, every performance is like a ghost - it's there and then it's gone. -Maggie Smith

SMscuba

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #8 on: Jul 14, 2014, 02:18 am »
Thanks for all the advice everybody! I survived tech and the first weekend of doing Shakespeare outdoors. Being in a different park every performance is proving the most difficult thing to deal with, but we're making it work.

Also, I found out today that there is no bad weather strategy. As long as there's an audience, we perform. No matter the weather. I'm crossing my fingers for good weather all summer!