Author Topic: COMMUNICATION: Giving Notes Advice?  (Read 3770 times)

SMeustace

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Theat Troupe Theatre Company
  • Experience: College/Graduate
COMMUNICATION: Giving Notes Advice?
« on: Jul 28, 2014, 01:45 pm »
Are there rules or standards that deal with giving notes to the cast/crew?

On one show (which was in a community college setting) I tried something new. I copied some notes from my performance reports onto a sheet next to the schedule/sign-in sheet. The notes were separated by actors/stage management, set, lights, sound and so on. The notes were things like "the bed was slightly off spike last night, can we run the transition at 6", "I could see so-and-so during scene x", "discovered that the doorframe was broken and won't shut properly", "button on so-and-so's jacket fell off, button in pocket". 

Any note for actors (other than general notes) I would speak to them in person or include the note in envelopes addressed to that actor on the callboard.

I wanted to make sure if this method is/would be unacceptable, should possibly return to this, or "revise it".     

I'd really appreciate your advice and input. Thank you.

Edited to add topic tag - Maribeth
« Last Edit: Jul 30, 2014, 12:24 pm by Maribeth »
"On the first day the lord said....Light cue 1, GO! Then there was light".

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Giving Notes Advice?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 28, 2014, 02:36 pm »
In general when giving notes to anyone - especially young folks who haven't had time to develop thick skin - it's important to remember how it feels to them to be told that they did something wrong. They will be embarrassed, they will be angry, they will feel shame. Peers who thrive on finger-pointing will never let the others forget their moments at fault. If you're in a school with a competitive"cut" system, publicly posted notes like this might even be photographed with cell phones and saved as evidence for later.

Now extrapolate that to a situation where you're in a commercial production environment with paparazzi snooping around and paying chorus members to provide dirt on the better known "stars."

Notes should be given in private to the persons affected.
If you don't have time to give individual notes to everyone in your crew, meet with your deck chief and have them give the notes...  in private to the persons affected.

Maribeth

• View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #2 on: Jul 28, 2014, 02:46 pm »
I'm not a fan of posting notes publicly. It invites people to comment on things that are not their department, or could potentially embarrass someone.

For actors- Frankly, I wouldn't even post general acting notes. I think it's better to give them in person, either at the end of the night or when the actors arrive for the call. I like to stick my head in the dressing room after the show, check in with the actors, and talk about any notes with them face-to-face- it makes it more of a conversation, and I think people are more likely to take the note that way. (Plus, they don't have the excuse of, "Oh, I didn't see that note".) It also gives THEM the opportunity to give you any notes- "I broke a prop" or "There's a lot of noise backstage during my monologue" or "My button fell off" or "Can I get another piece of glotape on the table edge?" etc etc. And, I remind them of their next call.

For crew- It's better for notes to go in the report, and then be dealt with in person at the next call. I wouldn't want an actor to comment to a crew person about a mistake they made, any more than a crew person commenting on an acting note.  Crew notes could be given before they are released for the evening after a performance, or at the start of their next call. Something like a broken doorframe or costume fix should go in the performance report, so that it can be taken care of in advance of the next call.

Just saw Kay's response while writing this, and agree that you can also delegate some of these things. An ASM or deck chief can mention a lost button to wardrobe or an adjustment to a scene change.

SMeustace

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 28, 2014, 02:57 pm »
Thank you so much. I will be giving all my notes in person from now on. I can see why it would be better if all notes are given in person than by posting them.

I tried the writing notes in envelopes and giving it to the actor after seeing someone write/post about doing something similar. But they also mentioned that the enveloped had to be sealed (probably cause of Equity rules/standards). Did i misinterpret that?

My college's theater department head wanted rehearsals to bed held as close to Equity rules (as much as possible in a community college setting and within reason).

Post Merge: Jul 28, 2014, 03:09 pm
Thank you Maribeth.

I find it easier (sometimes better) to give notes at the next call as everybody is in a rush just to go home after the show. But I still try to pop my head in the dressing room to check in with the actors.

« Last Edit: Jul 28, 2014, 03:09 pm by SMeustace »

Maribeth

• View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #4 on: Jul 28, 2014, 03:15 pm »
Yes, per AEA you cannot email out personal actor notes to the group or post on the callboard, so in a sealed envelope is the way to go. (Or you can send each actor a separate email with their own notes). But I think that works better for something like the director's notes after a preview, where there might be several pages worth of notes to deliver.

If there's a handful of notes following a performance my personal preference is to handle them in person. Now, if I am unable to catch the actor before they leave, I might leave them in a sealed envelope on their dressing station. (Or on the rare occasion that I've had to do a substantial amount of line notes mid-run).

If you're curious, you might want to look through one of the AEA contracts- they are all available online on the AEA website. Here's the SPT contract, which a lot of small to midsize regional theatres use. Be aware that not all contracts are the same- this is just an example of one.

SMeustace

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 28, 2014, 03:50 pm »
Thank you very much. I have the AEA rulebook already saved on my computer. I guess, I skimmed over the section mentioning that, very quickly.

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #6 on: Jul 28, 2014, 04:40 pm »
(I like to get notes out that nite, so actors have time to read/process before the next call) but as to delivery, I often fold them and tape them to the appropriate station's mirror. That way they can't miss 'em.