Author Topic: MUSICALS: SMing the Musical Rehearsals  (Read 5461 times)

Leanne

• Tourist
    • View Profile
MUSICALS: SMing the Musical Rehearsals
« on: Sep 14, 2006, 11:58 pm »
how would one go about stage managing a musical (learning) rehearsal?  This is my first Musical, and i havent done a play in 2 years.  Any help is appreciated.

Leanne
« Last Edit: Jun 08, 2009, 11:44 pm by PSMKay »

Joshua S.

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AGMA
  • Current Gig: Asst. Production Manager - Mason Gross School of the Arts
  • Experience: Professional
Re: SMing the Musical Rehearsals
« Reply #1 on: Sep 15, 2006, 12:56 am »
There's generally not much else to do during a music rehearsal except make sure they start and end on time and take proper breaks.  I would have other stuff to work on during the rehearsal so you don't get too bored.

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Sep 15, 2006, 07:51 am »
When you say "musical (learning) rehearsal", do you mean a rehearsal where the actors are introduced to the music and begin working, or do you mean something else?

Just make sure you have everything that will be needed to hand and make sure things keep flowing.

Balletdork

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: PSM, The Human Race Theatre Company
« Reply #3 on: Sep 15, 2006, 08:59 am »
This is also a great time for you to learn the score- if you're not a great sight reader, or if you have problems reading music in general this is an oppurtunity to follow the score while the singers are moving slowly through it & the Music Director is in the room.

And yes, this is only exciting for an hour or so... But if you bring your lap top, you'll be able to work out props lists, scene shifts... etc... once you're bored of the music.

Enjoy!

stagemonkey

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 15, 2006, 11:55 am »
Yeah pretty much what others said, there really isnt anything to do except make sure everyone is there on time and the music director takes breaks and stuff.  On one musical I did when we had the music rehearsal the director/choreographer was not present so often I had to be around to let the music director know some of the stuff the director has set for that music number.  But overall you got nothing to do so its a great time to work on paperwork and such.  You also might want to check with the music director as well as in some cases there is no need for you to be there say if he is working on small solo pieces or something, not that you should try to sneak out of having to be at a rehearsal but sometimes you might be able to have the night off which we all know can be nice from time to time.

Balletdork

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: PSM, The Human Race Theatre Company
« Reply #5 on: Sep 15, 2006, 12:28 pm »
yeah- in music rehearsals I send my ASM's home for the night- or to pick up props or to do one of the million things that have to USUALLY happen outside the rehearsal day.

(Think of how many things need thousands of copies- copy them now!)

sojess

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 18, 2006, 10:59 pm »
During music rehearsal, I usually work on all the paperwork I have to get done for the theatre. :) Copies, proofreading bios, etc... Other than that, it's a great time to learn the music.

riotous