Author Topic: MORALE: tech relief  (Read 3556 times)

leastlikely

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC
  • Current Gig: The White Snake - Constellation Theatre Company
  • Experience: Professional
MORALE: tech relief
« on: Aug 29, 2013, 03:48 pm »
Mod: I wasn't sure whether to put this under "morale" or "tech" since it's kind of both. If it seems better to list it as tech, sorry for the trouble!

Anyway, I was just wondering if you have any routines or habits that you use to keep yourself healthy, safe, and sane throughout tech.

Do you tend to indulge in junk food during tech since it's the only time you let yourself do that, or do you eat healthier than normal? If you need caffeine, what's your preference? What snacks do you like to eat to keep yourself going on looooong days? What do you like to do to support your crew, designers, and cast when energy and morale are waning?

Post Merge: Aug 29, 2013, 03:50 pm
My answers:

About a year and a half ago, I was ASM on a show with an LD who, upon learning that the SM planned to sit in the green room for her dinner break on our first ten out of twelve, established a rule that the entire SM team must leave the building during the break. I have adopted this as my own personal rule, and I will do everything in my power to make sure myself and the rest of the SM team get some sunshine and fresh air, even if it's only half an hour.

I tend to eat at least as healthy as usual, if not more. I like to eat a good breakfast with protein in it (NO DONUTS ahhhh I'd be asleep in 2 hours!). I like to bring fruit (bananas especially!), veggies and dip or hummus, nuts (depending on allergies in the room of course), crackers and cheese... Stuff that's simple to nosh on but also doesn't sit heavy in the stomach and doesn't make me feel like crap. I like coffee in the morning and Diet Coke with dinner and lots of water throughout the day, but by the end of tech week I'll probably have graduated to sugar-free Red Bull (and when I'm really exhausted, I drink a frosty-cold Red Bull in the shower!)

As far as company support goes, I like to bring enough snacks to share with anyone who needs them. I keep a blanket in my car in case anyone needs to nap during the break. And I give all my designers/directors a thank you card at opening (cast and crew get cards at closing).
« Last Edit: Aug 29, 2013, 03:50 pm by leastlikely »

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
Re: MORALE: tech relief
« Reply #1 on: Aug 29, 2013, 08:16 pm »
there was a huge discussion some time back on this topic - does anyone remember what it was called? But - use the search function, there were some great ideas and fun perspectives....

leastlikely

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC
  • Current Gig: The White Snake - Constellation Theatre Company
Re: MORALE: tech relief
« Reply #2 on: Aug 30, 2013, 01:38 am »
Ahhh sorry, had a brain fart - when I searched earlier, I forgot to switch it to search the entire forum instead of just this board. I'm a dingbat. :( http://smnetwork.org/forum/the-green-room/food-tech-dinners-etc-(merged-topics)/

riotous