Author Topic: TECHNOLOGY: Sharing Paperwork with ASMs  (Read 8470 times)

flychief

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: High School
Re: TECHNOLOGY: Sharing Paperwork with ASMs
« Reply #15 on: Sep 11, 2014, 07:20 pm »
I use and love using google drive.

If it is something that needs to be edited a lot then I use the drive applications.

If it is something that isn't going to be edited much or at all I will make it and upload it as a PDF. (I also use acrobat and love it.)

All my stagehands and stage leaders love it, easy access, restrict editing power, and cross platform. If anyone wants a peek into my stage folder/s let me know and I can point you to a link.
« Last Edit: Sep 11, 2014, 10:08 pm by PSMKay »

brettnexx

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Apprentice; Closer Than Ever; Dry Cold Producions
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Sharing Paperwork with ASMs
« Reply #16 on: Dec 06, 2014, 11:00 pm »
I'm happy with dropbox for most things, but as an ASM, I want my run sheets in google drive. I can export it later for sake of having it all in one place, but I need to be able to edit run sheets on the fly during tech, and the easiest thing is to have it open on my phone. This is so much more convenient for me than carrying around paper and pencil (plus I don't have to go back after rehearsal and type up my notes, if I can just put it in my phone immediately). If we're coming up on a shift that we've never teched before, I want to be able to quickly type up who is assigned to every aspect of the shift, and exactly what they do. So I make sure all crew/PAs/PSM are invited to the google doc, I maintain it, and then once everything's actually set I'm happy to export it to Excel and save that in the dropbox... but it's just so convenient to edit the spreadsheet from my smartphone!

Right now Microsoft office is free for both iPhone and Android, so that could be a possibility to updating your paperwork on your smartphone.

As much as I think it's a good idea that crew have access to the information electronically. What I like to do is to print off pages with the changes to the documents to give to the crew members, so that they can transfer the changes, because they might have their own notes. If the document has significant changes, then I will print a whole new set of them for the whole crew.

I like the print on a different colour of paper for every version method, but you won't always have different coloured paper at a moments notice. What I do like to do is write with a bold marker the version number in one of the upper corners of the first page, just so you can easily ask everyone you "Are you reading off Version 5 of the Tech Tracking?"

But if it's minor changes, I don't like printing the whole document off, just because the crew might have made lots of notes on their pages, so I wouldn't expect them to want to rewrite everything.

riotous