Author Topic: REHEARSALS: Laban/ Viewpoints Movement Sequence Notation  (Read 4855 times)

danapetersen26

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Ohio State, EMC
  • Experience: College/Graduate
I'm stage managing a play where the director is interested in heavily using movement sequences both within scenes and within transitions. These aren't dance sequences, because there is no music. But everything is heavily choreographed using Laban and Viewpoints, and everything is incredible precise and must be perfectly integrated with media, lighting, and sound.

I have  no idea how to effectively notate movement sequences like this, since we don't have a choreographer who would do the notation (the directors a movement person).

Has anyone come across a similar situation, and does anyone have advice on how to best serve the piece?

Edited to add topic tag- Maribeth
« Last Edit: Oct 16, 2019, 08:18 pm by Maribeth »

Maribeth

• View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Laban/ Viewpoints Movement Sequence Notation
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2019, 09:42 pm »
Can you videotape movement sections? To notate it, can you create "landmarks" for yourself within the section?

SamanthaR

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: PSM - Phoenix Theatre
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2019, 09:33 pm »
If memory serves Viewpoints works within a Square.  Could you track each human in their own box.  I am a big fan of stick figures to help notate very specific arm positions etc and different colored pencils/erasable pens to track intersecting patterns.
wee but mighty

abhibeckert

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Stage Manager at The Rondo Theatre
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2019, 07:36 pm »
For my last show we had up to 25 people on a small stage at the same time, often with a lot of movement.

We captured every scene on video, including the director telling people if they needed to be a step to the left. Videos were posted to facebook for everybody to watch/memorise/reference.

For notations I kept it simple "X to DSR" and so on, where "X" might be a person or a whole group. More concerned about timing in relation to the script than precisely describing the action.