Author Topic: JOB DESCRIPTION: Splitting the jobs between co stage managers  (Read 11101 times)

thehayworth

• Contributor
  • Uh oh.
    • View Profile
    • Propaganda Pipeline
  • Current Gig: Santaland Diaries
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Splitting the jobs between co stage managers
« Reply #15 on: Nov 16, 2006, 10:00 am »
I HATE taking over from another SM at tech week.  Probably b/c there are so many shoddy SMs here.  I can't decipher the blocking in the promptbook to tell the lighting designer where people stand.  Props have not been tracked at all in rehearsal.  It slows tech waaaaaaaaay down.  With so little time in the space, the rehearsal SM should have prepped for the transition.
"This time for sure."

centaura

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Splitting the jobs between co stage managers
« Reply #16 on: Nov 16, 2006, 12:25 pm »
I've been in both situations - the SM who was with the rehearsal process, and as a replacement SM who came into a running show.  Its different doing it both ways.  If you had asked before I had done my first show where I wasn't part of rehearsal I would not have been able to imagine doing a show without that intricate knowledge of what every right/wrong/might have been move/prop/item was.  But then I did my first replacement gig - and even though I didn't know the show - it actually helped me pay more attention to it.  I couldn't recite the lines along with the actors - so I actually heard the lines they were saying and caught a lot more diction and other notes.  It was a little harder to keep the show the way the director had imagined it - because I wasn't up on exactly what that was - but if you've been part of the process as the above examples have been - then I could see where it would work.  Not really sure which one I would prefer though . . .

-Centaura