Author Topic: JOB DESCRIPTION: Production Stage Manager v Company Stage Manager  (Read 11687 times)

chrrl

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
My official title at my theatre company is Company Stage Manager.  It's kind of an arbitrary term, but I am the resident Stage Manager, oversee the Stage Management fellow, coordinate any guest stage managers, and take care of a lot of other company business besides(I'm employed year-round even though we only produce September-June.)  My boss and I have talked about changing my title to Production Stage Manager to be more industry standard.  Does anyone have an opinion about what the appropriate job title would be and how to make those distinctions?
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2009, 02:21 am by PSMKay »

Amie

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • Amie S. Bajlaieh  - Stage Manager. Producer. Artist.
  • Affiliations: Crossroads Theatre Company, Rutgers University
  • Current Gig: Producing Associate, Crossroads Theatre Company
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Production Stage Manager v Company Stage Manager
« Reply #1 on: Jun 03, 2009, 04:49 pm »
Any person in the industry I've worked with who fall under those job descriptions has been known, to me, as a production stage manager. 
~ Amie ~

“This whole creation is essentially subjective, and the dream is the theater where the dreamer is at once: scene, actor, prompter, stage manager, author, audience, and critic.”

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
Re: Production Stage Manager v Company Stage Manager
« Reply #2 on: Jun 03, 2009, 07:28 pm »
I basically have the same job, my title is Resident Production Stage Manager - and I think that indeed would be the industry standard for our type of position.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

ambrosialx

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Ambrosia LX and Design Portfolio
  • Affiliations: University of Guelph
  • Current Gig: Production Manager- Roseneath Theatre
My title is also Company Stage Manager but my job is slightly different. I fill the role of company manager as well as SM. We do have a PM who deals with tech I deal more with artist logistics such as accommodations and artist transportation and contracts and don't really touch technical things...
"I will prepare and someday my chance will come"

workinhard853

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: PSM at a theatre in Kentucky
I've worked at a couple different theatres and had both the CSM title and the PSM title. In my experience it follows as others here have said mostly with some variation; the CSM deals more with housing/ transportatin/ and other Company Manager Duties, where as the PSM is more on the technical side dealing with Set/Props/ Lights/ and costumes where I can help and doing some of my own show up keeps.