Author Topic: HOUSE MANAGEMENT: House Report  (Read 6125 times)

matthew.jackson

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: UC Irvine
  • Current Gig: Assistant Production Manager, UC Irvine
  • Experience: College/Graduate
HOUSE MANAGEMENT: House Report
« on: Jun 12, 2012, 06:57 pm »
Hi, all.  I'd love some feedback on the House Management Report that is used in your venue(s).
What information does it include?
Is it a requirement to have one?  What are the benefits of having this document?
Thank you!

Edit to subject line-Rebbe
« Last Edit: Jun 13, 2012, 11:51 am by Rebbe »

Rebbe

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: House Management Report
« Reply #1 on: Jun 13, 2012, 11:30 am »
As SM I’ve never been involved in writing a house report, that would be the responsibility of the House Manager.  A House Report wouldn’t be required of the SM team under AEA contract.  I would imagine it breaks down ticket sales and attendance, and notes any complaints or incidents involving audience members.  If you are asking about the performance report or show report written by the stage manager, there are a number of threads covering that subject. 
"...allow me to explain about the theatre business. The natural condition is one of insurmountable obstacles on the road to imminent disaster."  (Philip Henslowe, Shakespeare In Love)

On_Headset

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Re: HOUSE MANAGEMENT: House Report
« Reply #2 on: Jun 13, 2012, 10:58 pm »
Former house manager here.

95% of house reports are trivial: house count, box office and coat check take, and a remark to the effect that nothing unusual happened. (Maybe the show went up two minutes late. Not a big deal.) With this in mind, make it as easy as possible for house managers to file that information: don't give them a six-page form when they're only going to fill in 3 of the boxes and leave the rest blank.

I actually recommend producing a cover sheet and leaving it at that. (A box for the house count, a box for the financial take, the usual information about the show/venue/event, and whatever other pertinent information should always be recorded. Nothing else.) If the house manager needs to make notes, rather than trying to anticipate the sorts of information they need to record, have them write it out freehand on separate sheets of paper and staple it to the cover. (And if nothing happens, they can just submit the cover sheet without any attachments.)

For complete accuracy, you might want the cover to include a sheet count. ("Attached: ____ Pages", with the house manager filling in the blank. Most days it'll be zero.)

anole

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #3 on: Jul 21, 2012, 05:31 pm »
Below is from the house of the last place I worked, with some commentary from me added. They do a nicely formatted version and a plain emailed version.
I've also had places just fill them out on paper, although I prefer the emailed ones.

HOUSE COUNT: xyz bodies total (__ patrons, __ ushers)
(___ sold regular tickets, ___ sold sale/discount/giftcard/etc = ___ total tickets sold)  (___ canceled by phone, ___ unclaimed tickets = ___ no show total  )

CASH DEPOSIT TOTAL:
Box Office:
Donations:

House Open:
House Closed:   (/turned over)
Act I Start:
Intermission:  (began)
Act II Start:
Curtain:
(then I like to have time out of building included as well)

MOOD/FYI:

(good to have a separate line for weather as well)

(good to have a separate line to note all handicapped/special needs accommodations- how they got into the building, when they were seated & how, if it took too long, if they called ahead of time, their name, etc)

(name of person who did report)
(their position)

BMarie_SM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • My Theatrical Official Website
  • Affiliations: Florida Studio Theatre, Island Shakespeare, Stonehill College
  • Current Gig: Intern @ FST (2012-2013)
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #4 on: Jul 21, 2012, 06:03 pm »
Yes, it really depends on your venue.

For example, I have often doubled as house manager when working for smaller companies or educational venues, but the reports were then handled by box office/a business manager.

In my experience, I would also suggest a cover sheet. Then include more itemized break-downs. Make sure to include any documents or photocopies that might be helpful (for example my college used a seating chart to track ticket sales, and then counted stubs to confirm).

If your unsure what you need, check with your higher up - box office, artistic director, business manager, whomever it is in your theatre to see what they would like to see on the reports.

It is always better to include more and be safe than sorry.
-Brianna
Stage Manager - Dramaturg - Director
newbielink:http://briannamarie.yolasite.com/ [nonactive]

riotous