Author Topic: PRE-PRODUCTION: Groundplan Doesn't Fit  (Read 2864 times)

Rebelsw/oapplause

• New to Town
    • View Profile
PRE-PRODUCTION: Groundplan Doesn't Fit
« on: Jan 11, 2013, 01:11 am »
Hi Folks-

I know this may seem silly, but does anyone have any tips or tricks to such a situation. Currently, our August: Osage County set design does not fit in the space we will be rehearsing in. I absolutely hate to truncate the design, but CAN make it fit should I decrease the size of everything 25%. Thoughts?

Edit to add topic tag. -Maribeth
« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2013, 08:28 pm by Maribeth »

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Nick Tochelli's Blog: The Backstage Ballet
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PM- Godlight Theatre Company/Inside Sales:Barbizon Lighting
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Groundplan Doesn't Fit
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2013, 07:06 am »
Talk to your director if they mind shrinking it. If they don't mind, do it. The cast will get used to a smaller space and then feel relieved as soon as you move into the space and have all this extra room.

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2013, 08:45 am »
I'd chat with the director about the plan, s/he will know what elements are most critical.  S/he may prefer you truncate certain elements, while leaving other critical elements to scale; or truncate the entire thing to scale. 
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2013, 11:28 am »
I second discussing with the director.

They may know which area that aren't going to use in detail, and won't mind fudging.

I think over all shrinking 25% will actually be more problematic . . . in that, when spacing (although for a play like AUGUST, it might not be a huge deal), but everyone would go "hey, we have more space", and then actually stage thinking they have more space then they actually do.

I tend to truncate in the extremes, far SL, far SR, Upstage or downstage - but all depends on the set.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2013, 11:43 am »
It's all been said but yes, check w the director.  But just as an FYI, it is common for the rehearsal space to have different dimensions from the stage, so finding out where the director wants to cheat dimensions (or not) is essential - and their decision based on what is more necessary.

On_Headset

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2013, 01:06 am »
Yes, talk to the director. Depending on the show and how they plan to rehearse it, the director may prefer to omit some features, knock a bit off the staircases, etc. rather than shrink the entire set.

I once worked with a director who, rather than scaling down, wanted to tape out both halves of the set so they overlapped. (One in blue, the other in red, to avoid confusion.) It worked.