Author Topic: REHEARSAL: Sign-in Sheet for Rehearsals  (Read 21484 times)

Thespi620

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
Re: REHEARSAL: Sign-in Sheet for Rehearsals
« Reply #15 on: Jan 20, 2011, 12:06 pm »
I make it a point to have actors sign in, even in rehearsal, to train them for tech/performances. I keep the sign-in sheet in my book, and put it on my table when I arrive. This way, the cast has to see me and sign in, in case there are any announcements.  Then, by the time rehearsals get to be more set-up heavy and I'm away from the table, the cast knows to sign in and I can type up any necessary announcements to post with them. This also allows the sign-in method to work even with multiple rehearsal rooms in one process.

My most recent cast decided initials weren't fun, so they started leaving me messages, two letters at a time, on the sign-in sheet. Made it fun for them--they had to sign in with the next piece of the story every night, which was a great motivation for being on time!
[The SM is] a very gifted, slightly eccentric master mechanic [keeping] a cantankerous, highly complex machine running at top efficiency by talking to it, soothing it, & lovingly fixing whatever is broken. 
-J. Michael Gillette

dancer-sm

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Kemp Drama
  • Current Gig: Grease: The musical
  • Experience: High School
« Reply #16 on: Jan 20, 2011, 09:17 pm »
I have a sign-in sheet everyday, but I'm in high school. As soon as people enter the room I have them sign-in, give me their phones and other electronic distractions, get changed, and wait on stage for rehearsals to start.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #17 on: Jan 20, 2011, 10:20 pm »
Igive me their phones and other electronic distractions

that seems to be a little totalitarian to me . . .
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

On_Headset

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #18 on: Jan 21, 2011, 04:47 am »
I've found that the utility of sign-in sheets goes something like this:

These numbers are approximate and depend on your specific cast. (More professional actors who are used to your systems will usually be more mature about these things. Less professional actors, actors who are used to different systems, and children in particular will create more problems.)

I: Cast has so few people that you already see everyone anyway. With this few people, you can probably do attendance in your own head, or at the very least you'll quickly notice who is and isn't present as you go about your normal preshow routine. Sign-in sheets are really only useful for formal record-keeping. (1-4 bodies.)
II: Cast is still small enough that you can more or less do it in your own head, but there's a chance you might overlook or miss someone, so sign-in sheets begin to become useful. (5-10 bodies.)
III: Cast has enough people that you can no longer do it all in your own head, and you absolutely need an external method of keeping track. (10-20 bodies.)
IV: Cast is so large that sign-in sheets are not only useful for your own purposes, but add an (extremely useful) element of rigid routine and predictability to calls. If you're really lucky, cast members will even take it upon themselves to remind one another to sign in, saving you a lot of nagging. (15-40 bodies.)
V: Best of all worlds: sign-in sheets are still easy to use and understand, they add predictability to calls, they provide useful information to you as a stage manager, people take them seriously, and so on. (30-50 bodies.)

And then there's VI. Usually two things happen:
- Cast members stop taking them seriously. They start signing in for each other. They start doodling and drawing jokes which impede the usefulness of the board. They begin to realize that the "consequences" for failing to sign in are so minor that it's not worth the effort on their part to do so. (Bigger cast = more difficult to have these conversations, to reach all the perpetrators, etc.) You acquire one or two bad apples who get haughty and self-important about it. ("Have you signed in?" "Why? You're talking to me, so you know I'm here. Is there anything else?") If things get really bad, the entire callboard can be defaced or vandalized, and then what? There's 80 people in the cast, you really want to interrogate everybody?
- The sign-in sheets themselves become so large and byzantine as to become unwieldy. There are very few ways to arrange 60+ names on a few sheets of paper in any sort of useful sequence which will still make sense to everyone involved and provide useful at-a-glance information to the stage management team. (If you sort alphabetically, then you get almost no useful at-a-glance information if you have staggered calls, or if you want to be able to quickly pick out lead roles so you can fuss your understudies, etc. If you sort by any other criteria [call time, role, etc.], actors will spend hours gawping at the sheets trying to find their own names, even if it's in the exact same place it's been at all previous calls, and this tends to incline them to stop taking it seriously.)

It's a tricky situation to deal with. I've heard some creative solutions, but they're very much tied to specific companies or venues. (Have people sign in with the stage door guard, attach sign-in sheets to dressing room doors, that sort of thing.) The best solution seems to be praying it doesn't happen to you to begin with. :P
« Last Edit: Jan 21, 2011, 04:50 am by On_Headset »

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 21, 2011, 11:58 am »
One thing no one has mentioned: SIgn in sheets are essential in spaces where you may not actually see someone in a timely manner. I work in a couple of places where the sign-in sheet is with the dressing rooms, which are a full flight down from the deck and are accessed from either side of the stage, and I am either working up 4 flights of stairs in the booth or off left, in the de facto working prop room /onstage green room. So making one trip or seeing the sign-in from top of stairs saves a lot of trips, even with a cast of one!

However, I still only do it from tech on - unless there is a specific reason.
« Last Edit: Jan 21, 2011, 12:00 pm by loebtmc »

lsears

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, Boston University
« Reply #20 on: Jan 21, 2011, 12:30 pm »
For one of the AGMA companies I worked at it is a requirement.  The chorus deputies sign off on the coro sign in sheets at the end of each call so that they are aware of habitual lateness so we use them for music rehearsals, staging rehearsals, tech and performances.

dallas10086

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
« Reply #21 on: Jan 21, 2011, 04:52 pm »

With high school students, I'd do the same thing.

jrbucci

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook Page
  • Affiliations: Point Park University
  • Current Gig: BFA in Stage Management @ Point Park University & Production Manager: Hula Lou Theatre Project
« Reply #22 on: Jan 27, 2011, 03:35 pm »
I do sign in sheets for casts larger than like 10. I like to put it on the table in front of me and this means that I get to see everyone as they come in to tell them things like new rehearsal props and other things like that. I feel like its easier than trying to track down everyone to make them aware of these things. Also some rehearsal spaces I have been makes it hard to just look around and see who you want as they arrive. It is a little more difficult if the call is staggered but I usually edit the process on a space by space basis.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #23 on: Jan 27, 2011, 05:04 pm »
I just don't get the sign in sheet on the table next to you.  I mean, so you are in the middle of a scene, with the director right next to you, and an actor comes up to you and signs in . . .  I am just trying to picture when this is a good idea.

My whole goal of the sign in sheet is to get them

1) In the habit of signing in.
2) In the habit of checking the call upon signing in to see if there are any changes.
3) In the habit of checking the call board for changes.

I would argue that putting the sign in sheet closer to you is reinforcing a physical need of them needing to be coming to you all the time, which may not always be the best habit for them to get into.  Especially when I am sitting with a director working on a difficult show, to have an actor, bring in different/new/odd energy to sign in and ask questions - just may not always be a good thing - may not be a bad thing, but may not be a good thing.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

Thespi620

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jan 27, 2011, 05:59 pm »
Having the sign-in sheet next to me works solely because I work in an environment where everyone is called at the same time.  If there were staggered calls, I would likely put the sign-in sheet elsewhere, as appropriate.  In the educational setting where I'm currently SMing, the full cast has warmups together and then the rehearsal begins with most cast members working in the room with myself and the director, and others running lines or smaller scenes with ASMs/each other. In this environment, having a sign-in sheet at my table and easily accessible to me & my team at 2 minutes prior to start is essential and useful. 
[The SM is] a very gifted, slightly eccentric master mechanic [keeping] a cantankerous, highly complex machine running at top efficiency by talking to it, soothing it, & lovingly fixing whatever is broken. 
-J. Michael Gillette

jrbucci

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook Page
  • Affiliations: Point Park University
  • Current Gig: BFA in Stage Management @ Point Park University & Production Manager: Hula Lou Theatre Project
« Reply #25 on: Jan 28, 2011, 12:27 am »
Yes. This is what I was saying as well. When the calls are staggered I do not have the sheet next to me but for shows where there is an all called I like to. It makes it easier for my team and I. I post it near the entrance to the room (or in the green room if we are so blessed with one) when the calls are staggered.

dancer-sm

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Kemp Drama
  • Current Gig: Grease: The musical
  • Experience: High School
« Reply #26 on: Jan 28, 2011, 10:26 pm »

With high school students, I'd do the same thing.

It's one of the things I'm required to do, also it keeps the actors' attention focused on rehearsals and not on their significant others.

On_Headset

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Jan 29, 2011, 02:32 am »
I just don't get the sign in sheet on the table next to you.  I mean, so you are in the middle of a scene, with the director right next to you, and an actor comes up to you and signs in . . .  I am just trying to picture when this is a good idea.

My whole goal of the sign in sheet is to get them

1) In the habit of signing in.
2) In the habit of checking the call upon signing in to see if there are any changes.
3) In the habit of checking the call board for changes.

I would argue that putting the sign in sheet closer to you is reinforcing a physical need of them needing to be coming to you all the time, which may not always be the best habit for them to get into.  Especially when I am sitting with a director working on a difficult show, to have an actor, bring in different/new/odd energy to sign in and ask questions - just may not always be a good thing - may not be a bad thing, but may not be a good thing.
I'd like to add another number to the list.

4) In the habit of sticking to a pre-show routine.

I want my actors to get used to things happening in a certain order and sequence, with roughly the same amount of time spent on each element every night. (Especially if it's a big cast!) I don't necessarily want them to feel rushed or hurried, but I want them to get into the practice of starting in one location, and shifting to the next, and the next, and being aware of the sequence and the rhythm and the importance of keeping it all predictable.

I've found that on shows where the callboard is taken seriously by the acting company, the sequence and rhythm is taken seriously as well. On shows where the callboard is taken less seriously, it's a struggle to get people to keep moving backstage. I'm not sure if it's a symptom or a cause (does taking the callboard seriously lead to backstage professionalism, or does backstage professionalism imply taking the callboard seriously?), but it's so reliable that I choose not to question it.