Author Topic: FORMS: Rehearsal Checklist?  (Read 3940 times)

Laura

• New to Town
    • View Profile
FORMS: Rehearsal Checklist?
« on: Nov 29, 2007, 08:41 pm »
Hey all,

anyone ever heard of a rehearsal checklist?

As briefly described to me, they are a checklist of things to be taken care of during daily rehearsals... I think.

A superior mentioned I should try one in my rehearsal process, but I do not like her very much and do not wish to engage in menial conversation. So I hope someone here can explain better.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2009, 01:31 am by PSMKay »

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
  • Experience: Professional

zayit shachor

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://thankyouten.blogspot.com
Re: Rehearsal Checklist?
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2007, 12:41 am »
I've never heard of that as a standardized thing, but she might have meant just a list of things to remember pre- and post-rehearsal (turn off the lights, etc.)?

Laura

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2007, 03:47 am »
So I read the rules for this forum AFTER posting.... :-[

my post should be moved. I don't know where it should go though...

sorry to the moderators. I know that would annoy me.

EDIT: Magical post fairies fix everything! Moved here from Uploaded Forms--PSMK
« Last Edit: Nov 30, 2007, 09:26 am by PSMKay »

lauria

• Link Checker Supreme!
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2007, 01:28 pm »
A rehearsal checklist IS a list of things that you do before and after rehearsal. For example, sweep the stage, mop, make coffee... etc. It's important so that you don't forget anything like, "oh crap! I need those prop balloons for the scene with the clowns! Assistant, go run next door to the place and grab those!" while clowns are all waiting around impatiently for their ever necessary balloons.

That said, I've never actually made one. Should I have? You bet! I've forgotten things on occasion (like shutting off the compressor so it doesn't make a tremendously loud noise while the actors are trying to talk...), which would have been taken care of had I created a checklist.

For a rehearsal checklist, rather than a show checklist, I might even break down props etc that you need by scene that way you can say, "I need a table, lamp and chairs SL for when we get to scene 5, but then we're jumping to scene 7 so I should put the balloons SR because they normally get moved there after scene 2" Whereas the balloons may usually start the show SL (and that's that you're Pre-Production checklist would say), but they're moved during the show so they have a different starting place for a different scene. Generally, I would have that information elsewhere that I reviewed before rehearsal to make sure that we had all the rehearsal props (or even rehearsal prop-stand ins) needed in the right place.

Hope that makes sense and also explains why a pre-production checklist is a little bit different. If you've got a small show with a limited number of props and very easy daily set up, it may not be necessary, but if you've got a lot of things happening (and if you have assistants so you're not all working on the same project) it can be useful.