Author Topic: FORMS: Interesting request for performance reports...  (Read 18668 times)

MileHighSM

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
Has anyone ever been asked to add the specifc time (like on the clock) to their reports for *everything*?  i.e. Act I up and down, intermission up and down, etc.  I was just asked to add that to a report.  I've also down the time for curtain up and down, just not the other stuff.  I was asked to do it simply because the box office manager didn't want to do the math to figure out when the intermission was.  But does anyone do it on a regular basis?  Just curious...
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2009, 12:26 am by PSMKay »

BeckyGG

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Interesting request for performance reports...
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2006, 11:53 am »
In my performance reports I tend to include times for Act I Up/Down, Intermission Begin/End, Act II Up/Down and House Lights up.  I've just picked it up from some performance report forms that other stage managers I work with use and thus is a standard for me now.  The actual times are of course in addition to the stopwatch times for the acts and intermission.
CHAOS: Where Brilliant Dreams Are Born
Before the beginning of great brilliance, there must be Chaos
Before a brilliant person begins something great, they must look foolish to the crowd.

VSM

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2006, 12:00 pm »
My Show Reports always reflect the following:

HOUSE OPEN: 7:32                      
ACT ONE START 8:05/ACT ONE FINISH 8:58      
ACT ONE RUN TIME 51:37                  
INTERMISSION 16:26                    
ACT TWO START 9:15/ACT TWO FINISH 10:03      
ACT TWO RUN TIME 47:48                    
TOTAL RUN TIME 1:37-35 PLUS INTERMISSION                           
Ordo ab chao

kokobear

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2006, 12:37 pm »
My Show Reports always reflect the following:

HOUSE OPEN: 7:32                      
ACT ONE START 8:05/ACT ONE FINISH 8:58      
ACT ONE RUN TIME 51:37                  
INTERMISSION 16:26                    
ACT TWO START 9:15/ACT TWO FINISH 10:03      
ACT TWO RUN TIME 47:48                    
TOTAL RUN TIME 1:37-35 PLUS INTERMISSION                           

Ditto to VSM, but I don't actually stopwatch my intermissions.  If an intermission runs particularly long, I'll note the reason in my report.  As long as they are within 2-3 minutes of the announced length of intermission, I'm satisfied by knowing what time intermission begins and ends.  Seconds don't matter in Intermission, unless there is a specific need.  To me or my company, at least.

smejs

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, USITT
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM in Denver
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2006, 12:44 pm »
I often have pre-show live announcements, and if that's the case, my first line is Preshow Announcement Begins (Allison) 8:01, then Act One Begins 8:04, with Allison being the speaker du jour.  That way they can also tell how long the person has talked, and your run time reflects the actual show, not the preshow speaker.  

I guess I don't usually put when we open the house unless it's anything very different from the standard half-hour.

Erin

philimbesi

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2006, 02:30 pm »
I'm pretty much in line with VSM

Curtain Speech Up:
Curtain Speech Down:

Act 1 Up:
Act 1 Down:
Total Act 1:
Act 2 Up:
Act 2 Down:
Total Act 2:
Run Time:

Curtain speech time isn't included in the run time calculation... truth be told, it's really just to make fun of how long the curtain speaker goes on and on about the wonderful things here at our theater.. 

LisaEllis

« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2006, 03:28 pm »
Another variation on the theme...for opera orchestra timings...

Curtain speech (House to 1/2):
Tune:
Downbeat Act I:
Cutoff Act I/Intermission:
Tune Act II:
Downbeat Act II:
Cutoff Act II:
End bows:

repeat as necessary...

On my most recent show, I was watching too many things during the quick shifts to write down those actual times, so I noted the length of the shift in the report, seperate from the timings.  Since the shifts were pauses in the music, they could vary in length somewhat.  I kept a stopwatch on the shifts and the intermissions, since I had to know that the orchestra break started AFTER applause ended.  But that varies by contract...

cuelight

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA (UK)
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2006, 05:53 pm »
My show reports are basically what VSM has down. Except I tag on "Bows End" at the end of it - which don't get included in the actual running time of the show.
I guess I just got into the habit after shadowing other DSMs and making it up as I went along. Now it's just habit.

smsam

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2006, 07:19 pm »
Yep Mine are as other has said:

House Open
Clearance
Act 1 Up
Act One Down
Act Two Up
Act Two Down

Interval Length
Total Running Time (inc. Interval)
Total Playing Time (exc. Interval)

If anything is way out from the norm (like a really late Act One up because of a wait at Box Office or a really long interval because of tech issues then I would add a little note explaining!).

Also in the unlikely event of a show stop I would include timings of that!

Sam x
Sam x

ChaCha

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • http://www.performinglineswa.org.au
  • Affiliations: Media, Entertainment & Arts Alliance
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #9 on: Dec 08, 2006, 10:36 pm »
I think mainly because I worked in Opera at the start of my career (and as stated by LisaE, ther orchestra/chorus requires lots of time info due to strict overtime rules) I always erred on the side of more timings rather than less on a show report - I just hated adding up the totals of the different segments - I had a calculator that could add times once...
ChaCha

Maribeth

• View Profile
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #10 on: Dec 08, 2006, 11:35 pm »
I just hated adding up the totals of the different segments - I had a calculator that could add times once...

I don'tknow how to do this, but I know a stage manager who can get Excel to add times. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to look up...

ReyYaySM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance
« Reply #11 on: Dec 08, 2006, 11:53 pm »
I just hated adding up the totals of the different segments - I had a calculator that could add times once...

I don'tknow how to do this, but I know a stage manager who can get Excel to add times. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to look up...

I have a form (that I got from another SM I worked with) that I use to calculate rehearsal and performance times in order to track hours.  I find it helpful for determining the total run time.  It doesn't actually add the times (the formula it uses is based on subtraction), but I'm sure that there is an Excel formula that you could setup.  I'll upload it to the forms forum as soon as I get a chance. 

Ditto to all the above posters who include Act 1 Up/Down; Intermission Up/Down; Act 2 Up/Down; Total Run Time; Total Elapsed Time.  I also include Announce Up/Down if we have a live announcement.  I once had a Producer accuse me of not starting shows on time.  The live announce was starting on time (or relatively close to), but it was 2-4 minutes long depending on who was talking, so Act 1 up definitely wasn't at curtain time.  After that conversation with the Producer, I always included Announce Up/Down to prove that the show was starting on time. 

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
« Reply #12 on: Dec 09, 2006, 06:53 pm »
I also include Announcement timings for the exact reason mentioned in the above post.

I also keep two clocks going during the shows.

One stop watch to run acts timings only.
One stop watch to be the official start/ end timer and time smaller sections if necessary.

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 12, 2006, 04:12 pm »
Similar to above

I do
preshow announce/top of show start time
act 1 (stopwatch)
intermission (stopwatch) (clock time in/time out)
Act 2 (stopwatch)
end (clock time)

don't add the whole show run time unless it's asked for

with HAT contract and others that base on ticket sales, I also include
total audience count
full price
discount
comps

it gets to be habit to note time and duration for the show's pieces - I have had to time scenes on occasion (and that helps for those rare moments when you have to dash for something in the middle of a show)

ljh007

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #14 on: Dec 12, 2006, 06:31 pm »
I have pretty much the same report as most folks here (specifically VSM and LisaE, depending on which type of show I'm working on).

I also might track a particular "signature" moment in the show, such as which actress caught the bouquet tonight, or how many seconds of applause after the big monologue - just to keep the rehearsal reports interesting over longer runs. I've never been requested to add these - in fact, I'm not certain anyone has ever read them. I just think it's fun.