Author Topic: FORMS: Good Rep Daily Call Form  (Read 6521 times)

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
FORMS: Good Rep Daily Call Form
« on: Aug 15, 2007, 03:40 pm »
Looking for ideas for a good daily call form which would show 2 shows for the day.

I am starting, but looking for some good ideas form other SMs.

- Matthew
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2009, 12:55 am by PSMKay »
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

BalletPSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Stage Management Faculty at Baylor University
Re: Good Rep Daily Call Form
« Reply #1 on: Aug 15, 2007, 05:09 pm »
I do an excel doc with as many columns as necessary...

LAST NAME    FIRST NAME   TIME IN (call:1:30)  TIME OUT   TIME IN (call: 7:00)   TIME OUT

is this what you're asking about?

evangeline
Stage managing is getting to do everything your mom told you not to do - read in the dark, sit too close to the TV, and play with the light switches!

Sarah

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Noises Off
« Reply #2 on: Aug 15, 2007, 07:25 pm »
What's the point of having two shows on one schedule? Are you running out of call board space? Or trying to cut down on attachments...lots of company members in different shows? I'm intrigued...

McShell

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 15, 2007, 08:00 pm »
I think it simplifies things for rep to have it in one, at least for the departments and SM's, and for actors especially if they're double cast, it's easier for them to see what the whole day looks like.  Sometimes there's one PSM running the whole thing an ASM's running rehearsals, and having it in one is just easier.

I've seen one big header and three columns each with a smaller header with the show name header, on Word, one for show A, B, C.  Under each one, the time and who's called underneath, time and who's called, etc.  Going all the way down.  Same thing for the other shows, so they're side by side.  The font looks really small, but readable.

It seemed to work fine.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #4 on: Aug 15, 2007, 11:31 pm »
My reason to want to do it on one page is with a cast of 40, and both shows rehearsing on one day, fight work, vocal work, almost 300 costume looks between the two shows, I think it is important to have all the information in one place, both for both of the directors, but to have all the information at one place - especially since we are rehearsing in multiple locations.  I want to avoid the excuse of actors saying "I didn't see *THAT* call."

The set up is there are 40 actors in the company, there are two that only in show A, two that are only in show B, with 36 actors in both shows, 80% of them have a supporting to lead show in one or other.  Same fight director, some choreographer, two different costume designer.  One PSM (myself) working on/overseeing both shows - including all the scheduling - then, on each show, a team of three, with one Equity SM, one PA and one intern.

I am also trying to adjust my typical daily call form to work with this rep; since I am resident PSM, people are used to paperwork.

Maybe saying it all on one page with a mistake; I know that with 40 cast members, there is no freaking way it will all fit on one page - but I do want it to be one document - so they can compare side by side.  Note on my example, I tried to line up times between both shows so it visual shows on the shows line up.

My gut is telling my one document is the way to go - I think there are more pros then cons in doing it this way.  It would be easier to do two separate documents, but I don't think it's best with all the givens.

Thanks for the input so far; keep it coming. 

Attached is my first draft; in the end there is a lot style in the final design.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

BalletPSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Stage Management Faculty at Baylor University
« Reply #5 on: Aug 16, 2007, 09:13 am »
Aah...you meant two DIFFERENT shows in one day...oops...I was thinking you just meant two performances and I thought it seemed like too simple of an answer...

this makes more sense.  =)
Stage managing is getting to do everything your mom told you not to do - read in the dark, sit too close to the TV, and play with the light switches!

ReyYaySM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance
« Reply #6 on: Aug 16, 2007, 09:15 am »
This is very similar to the schedule I use when I'm working on a musical and have rehearsals going on in three spaces.  I have a column for each rehearsal hall and make sure to visually line-up all call times so that it reads easily.  Costume fittings and/or other calls are listed at the bottom.  I use Excel.  

I do like that you have the actors calls all listed down one side of the page.  I usually have mine listed at the bottom next to a notes/announcements box, but I have a show with a cast of 31 coming up so I think I'm going to steal your idea ;-).  

And I do agree that having it all on one schedule is going to make it easier on everyone.  Since most of the actors are in both shows, having only one document that they have to look at that has everything on it will cut down on the "oh, I didn't think I was called; I guess I only saw the schedule for Show A."  

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
« Reply #7 on: Aug 16, 2007, 10:11 am »
This form is looking good.  I think that I would split the Show columns in two again.  Have 1st column in Show A be time; 2nd be activity.  I think it might read a little better.

Also consider (if the producers, etc need it) making a section at the end with a section for each studio.  Could be very simple, but just to show when it will be occupied so that various departments know when they can go into the space.  You could also use that to remind TD/ props if large items need to be in several studios during the day so they know when to move them.

Sarah

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Noises Off
« Reply #8 on: Aug 16, 2007, 10:51 am »
Matthew, you're definitely on the right track; especially with the column for the actors' first call. Then, they really have no excuse for "not seeing that."

LisaEllis

« Reply #9 on: Aug 17, 2007, 02:35 pm »
An alternate or additional way to divide is by rehearsal space, for example
MAIN HALL     STUDIO A    STUDIO B   THEATRE

I usually work in rep companies, and everyone has a different scheduling format.  Often a person outside the show staff works out the details of fittings and coachings after the directors have submitted a schedule and publishes the schedule, so the Stage Manager is still in the room with the rehearsal.  But it sounds like you're that person, with enough other staff to cover the rehearsals.

If you do a hotline, we usually have seperate mailboxes for each show, and repeat coachings and costume fittings at the end of each.  That way the people only in 1 show can just listen to that 1 hotline.

But we usually have a seperate sign-in sheet for each session.