Author Topic: FORMS: Email Nightly SM Reports  (Read 11058 times)

angelofmusic1781

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Re: Email Nightly SM Reports
« Reply #15 on: Oct 05, 2006, 12:33 am »
With the show I am working on right now, rehearsal reports are being typed on a mac and then emailed out as attachments.  I can get them on my home PC.  They do have the .doc file name.  I think that the macs and pcs are talking to each other better than they like us to think now days especially in the case of microsoft office files.  If you do find that you have a problem with people reading the file then the idea of .pdf is great since anyone can download the reader version for free!

thehayworth

• Contributor
  • Uh oh.
    • View Profile
    • Propaganda Pipeline
  • Current Gig: Santaland Diaries
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #16 on: Oct 06, 2006, 04:21 pm »
I hate attachments.  With a passion.

HAAAATE.

I type up my report in Word as I go in rehearsal (yay for laptop!) and then c/p the text into email.

Those who can read RTF email get a treat, but it is formatted in such a way as to be understandable in plaintext as well.

No tables.  Nothing fancy.  Just the facts.

I rely on my inspiring wit to keep them reading.
"This time for sure."

smccain

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Stage Managing Life
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: I am the PSM for Theatreworks USA's national tour of Charlotte's Web.
« Reply #17 on: Oct 08, 2006, 11:40 am »
At my college, we send an email only copy of the rehearsal reports. I send the rehearsal reports in the body of an email. (Mainly because I haven't found a good form, or haven't made time to make a good form for the report.) However, production meeting reports are always sent out in email AND they are given a hardcopy. That's how I do it. I like to organize my rehearsal reports in folders in my inbox. So, putting the date in the subject line is a must. I hope that helps.
Sean

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #18 on: Oct 08, 2006, 09:04 pm »
All my reports and daily calls are titled specifically for people to sort

so current show

BeauxDC1006 = Beaux Daily Call October 6
BeauxPR1005 = Beauc Production Report October 5

Allows sorts to work very well.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #19 on: Oct 09, 2006, 05:55 am »
My naming scheme is rather basic - showname.rehearsal.2006.10.09.pdf is rehearsal report, 9th of October, 2006 for showname. My reason behind it is quite logical (at least to me) even though the filename looks ugly. Because of all the data included in the report's file name, I can use regular expressions etc to find almost anything, really quickly (ie the regex hamlet.*.2003.* will return every document from hamlet in 2003, or *.rehearsal.*.2001.7.* will give me every rehearsal report I wrote in July 2001). They also group really well when sorted by title. It is a quirk of mine - and probably not something most others would bother with.