Author Topic: FORMS: Do you have an actor code of conduct contract?  (Read 5789 times)

ScooterSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
  • Experience: Professional
I am working with a company (non-AEA) that works in conjunction with a university, and am trying to find some sort of "contract" that we can use with our student actors that dictates what is expected of them, and in return what they can expect from us.  Does anyone have anything like that?
We run our company as close to AEA as we can, including electing deputies, but it would be great to have something that they have signed that says we expect them to be on time, know their roles, show up for fittings, and not add conflicts for rehearsal, and in turn we will give them 24 hours notice for rehearsal changes, not call them when they are not needed, etc.

Any kind of rough draft of something similar would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!

SSM
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2009, 02:50 am by PSMKay »
“I've never been paid a lot, but the theatre has kept me, and for that I shall be eternally grateful.” Tony Church

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Do you have an actor code of conduct contract?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 12, 2008, 04:15 pm »
I have never really used a specific code of conduct, except to insert the following clauses into the regular contract (basic morality clause and drug and alcohol clauses):

Employees are expected to uphold a high moral standard whilst in the employ of the company, inline with the view of the board of directors. Failure to uphold this standard will result in a single warning, followed by immediate dismissal, should these breaches continue.

Employees are expected to remain sober with a blood alcohol of 0 during all rehearsals, performances and special calls. Should the employer suspect the use of alcohol they are within their right to obtain Blood Alcohol measurements, and should a breach be discovered a hearing of the board will be held to determine whether immediate dismissal is to occur. Should their be visible signs of drunkenness, any member of management shall suspend staff from duty immediately until such time as a hearing can be held.

Employees are not permitted to use illicit drugs whilst in the employ of the company. Should evidence of illicit drugs be found, immediate dismissal and the notification of the correct authorities will occur.

ewharton

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Sep 12, 2008, 09:15 pm »
I'm an MFA student at Rutgers. We do have a contract. I've attached it to this post. Feel free to look at it and take ideas :)
There are some parts that are very specific to Mason Gross but there are some good thoughts in there

geoffsm

• Contributor
  • If we could read minds, we wouldn't need headsets.
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA (Associate), SAFD (Actor-Combatant)
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #3 on: Sep 13, 2008, 02:06 am »
This is the list of Company Responsibilities that I use (right now its heading is set for that of my current production, but that of course, is adjusted for each show).  It may vary slightly depending of the show, but for the most part remains that same.  Generally I don't have too many problems with my cast when using these guidelines.

SMExtraordinaire

• New to Town
  • Must respect the ball cap....
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Stage Manager's Association
« Reply #4 on: Sep 13, 2008, 01:30 pm »
Our theatre has a handbook that lays out what is expected upfront.
"It required a bland, conscientious temperament that expected abuse and never admiration. The best stage managers are usually women, who bear the indignity for the historical neccessity of continuity itself." - John Osbourne

ScooterSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #5 on: Sep 15, 2008, 07:03 pm »
This is all really helpful.  Thank you everyone!!!
“I've never been paid a lot, but the theatre has kept me, and for that I shall be eternally grateful.” Tony Church

centaura

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 17, 2008, 04:31 pm »
I know we had one when I was in college, but I'll be darned if I know if I have a copy lying around somewhere....

-Centaura

riotous