Author Topic: FORMS: Blocking Pages in Prompt Book  (Read 8065 times)

damjamkato

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Experience: High School
FORMS: Blocking Pages in Prompt Book
« on: Oct 15, 2008, 05:35 pm »
I was just wondering if this is an okay layout for a page to taking blocking notes on in my prompt book.  Should the stage diagram be smaller? Should I have more than one?

By the way, I am Stage Managing Thoroughly Modern Millie.

Please look at the attachment.

Thanks
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2009, 02:49 am by PSMKay »

zayit shachor

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://thankyouten.blogspot.com
Re: Blocking Pages in Prompt Book
« Reply #1 on: Oct 15, 2008, 07:18 pm »
I have seen SMs block with pages like this before and it seems to work well.  I think it's better suited to straight plays with small casts, though, where there usually isn't that much movement per page.

Since you're doing a musical with a big cast, you might find that for all the dancing you'll want a few smaller stages on a page so that your one stage doesn't get too crowded with letters and arrows and the like.

There's no set format - it's whatever works well for you!

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Oct 15, 2008, 07:27 pm »
Come on! I mean I don't want to sound grumpy, however things like the size of the diagram etc can only be set by you. And you can work that sort of thing out REALLY quickly. If, after the first day of blocking, it does not work, you make a new one. Your style should not be set by what you read in a book, or what you read on a forum, it should be set by what works for you, and the challenges you face whilst working the show...

« Last Edit: Oct 15, 2008, 09:44 pm by Mac Calder »

geoffsm

• Contributor
  • If we could read minds, we wouldn't need headsets.
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA (Associate), SAFD (Actor-Combatant)
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #3 on: Oct 16, 2008, 01:47 pm »
It really is something that you need to discover for yourself.  There are all kinds of different approaches to every aspect of stage management, and it's important to learn what's best for you and your company.
HOWEVER...I must say, in all fairness, that when you are first starting out as a SM it can be very difficult to break yourself from the "Am I doing this right?" mentality.  It is something that I struggled with quite a bit when I first made the transition into my collegiate theater department (I had stage managed in High School and because some of my techniques were different than those of my peer SMs, I though I was wrong.  As it turns out, some of my stuff actually works better than theirs).  So, moral of the story....be thorough and prepared, but don't think so hard that you drive yourself nuts over unnecessary minutia.  Take the time to grow and learn while doing your job to the best of your ability..

But, if you really want my opinion, I think you would be better off with more than one stage diagram from each bit of blocking/dance.  Milliehas WAY too many people on stage dancing at once for a single diagram.  When I SMed the show in HS I didn't even use a ground plan, I just wrote copious blocking notation in my script and never had a problem with it.  Like I said, do what works for you, but I think you're on the right track.

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #4 on: Oct 16, 2008, 02:20 pm »
If I might suggest -

take your stage diagram, xerox it two (maybe three if you write tiny) to a page, one on top of the other, and use that on the LEFT side (the back of the page before) as your blocking arena. This will let you read the script/score throughout rehearsal without destroying it every time the blocking/choreo spacing changes, and you can use initials and arrows and diagrams to your heart's content in the space.

FYI Choreographically, you will most likely have more than one stage picture in that much time (unless your choreo minimalizes the movement) but you will rarely need more than 1 diagram per page for the script section - so make a variety and find out what you use most

damjamkato

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Experience: High School
« Reply #5 on: Oct 16, 2008, 05:47 pm »
Thanks everyone

I now realize that this, like other things that come up while stage managing, is something I need to figure out for myself.
Thanks for your comments though, they'll come in handy.

nmno

« Reply #6 on: Oct 16, 2008, 06:08 pm »
Yeah, for a chorus musical you'll probably want more groundplans per page...  I do 3 mini groundplans per page in a column on the left and then right blocking notes in a column on the right.  I also have my blocking pages as a separate page, ie NOT copied on the back of the script page proceeding...  It allows me to replace blocking pages quickly and easily without having to redo the script page it's on the back of.  Also helpful for when I worked with a director who liked to do 3 different versions of every scene - I could have a separate blocking page for Option A, B & C.
I also make extra mini groundplans (the same size as whatever is in my book) that I can just tape in if necessary.
Don't worry, you'll find YOUR way.

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #7 on: Oct 16, 2008, 06:19 pm »
yeah - what NMNO said - the "back of the page before" was more description - I don't make it the actual back of the page before until I build the archive script - loose pages will save your ass while you are in blocking mode

riotous