Author Topic: PROPS: Feather boa question  (Read 8289 times)

DSMAcademy

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: High School
PROPS: Feather boa question
« on: Nov 16, 2014, 07:32 am »
We are using a large number of inexpensive boas in two productions of Bugsy Malone and Frog and Toad.  Is there anything that can be sprayed on the boas to limit some of the feathers coming off?  After yesterday's run-through, I swear we could have stuffed a pillow with all the feathers floating around.  Thanks.

Edited to add topic tag- Maribeth
« Last Edit: Nov 25, 2014, 05:55 pm by Maribeth »

Car.e.kari

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: PSM
  • Experience: Community Theatre
Re: Feather boa question
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2014, 12:54 pm »
When we did Bugsy,(I work at a children's theater in Texas) WE made boas out of tulle. They were just as full but they don't shed! I know that doesnt answer your question...but cleaning up boas was too much!! I could map out where the girls were from their trail of feathers!!
"I can't tell if this is killing me, or making me stronger!"

brettnexx

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Apprentice; Closer Than Ever; Dry Cold Producions
  • Experience: Professional
Re: PROPS: Feather boa question
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2014, 10:37 pm »
Possibly using hairspray. I just did a show with a faux fur rug that someone rolled around on, and even after combing and trying to get the loose fur out, it still shed a lot.

We used aerosol. I don't think the other type of hairspray would work well. And I would do a heavy coat after the performance, after the actors have left (you know how actors can get with hairspray when they aren't the ones applying it.), and I would do a small coat during preshow. No one complained, and it worked fairly well.

I don't know how much that would translate to feather boas, but it could be worth a try.