Author Topic: SAFETY: Extraordinary Risk for Stage Managers  (Read 3699 times)

dance stage manager

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Canadian Actors' Equity Association
  • Current Gig: National Ballet of Canada
  • Experience: Professional
SAFETY: Extraordinary Risk for Stage Managers
« on: Feb 24, 2016, 09:34 pm »
A recent discussion with a new colleague of mine led me to post this to hear what approach others in the business are taking in regards to covering Stage Managers under Extraordinary Risk riders (or whatever your collective agreement uses).

I work primarily under a collective agreement between Canadian Actors Equity Association and the ballet company I work for.  It has a slightly uncommon approach to Extraordinary Risk; instead of individual artists agreeing to sign a rider to their contract that outlines the nature of the activity that has been identified, the agreement states that the Engager and Stage Management will collectively evaluate productions for potential activity that is classified as 'extraordinary risk' (generally based on some parameters in our agreement), and ensure that any artists involved in this activity are identified.  The Engager's insurance policy for artists offers enhanced/extended benefits to an artist who is injured specifically as a result of 'extraordinary risk' activity.  In the past, I have compiled a list of activity I identify as extraordinary risk (i.e. use of/exposure to theatrical weapons), and list the roles/performers who will be involved.

My new colleague asked me what my approach was to cover stage managers for extraordinary risk activity.  I was surprised by the question, and a bit embarrassed because it had honestly never occurred to me.  I always evaluated the circumstances exclusively from the perspective of covering performers, but as I thought about the question, it made perfect sense that stage managers can also be involved in activity that is identified as extraordinary risk, both in rehearsal and in performance.  Handling theatrical weapons (practical or non-practical), special effects, and working on raked surfaces might all qualify as extraordinary risk for a stage manager.

I'm curious what other stage managers' experience has been.  Have you signed extraordinary risk riders?  Do you identify activity as extraordinary risk to your Engager and request a rider or equivalent?  Some other scenario?

Edited to add topic tag- Maribeth
« Last Edit: Mar 03, 2016, 06:01 pm by Maribeth »

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Extraordinary Risk for Stage Managers
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2016, 02:03 am »
This sounds like a potential liability for the Stage Manager.  It seems the activity below shifts the burden of identifying risk from the Producer to the Stage Manager and Performer.  Is the Stage Manager an employee or an independent contractor?  If an independent contractor is responsible for identifying "extroardinary risk" for a performer, they would assume the liability if a risk is not properly identified and mitigated. 

Has the producing organization indemnified the Stage Manager for risk assessment activities?  If not - the Stage Manager should carry some beefy liability insurance.
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

dance stage manager

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Canadian Actors' Equity Association
  • Current Gig: National Ballet of Canada
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2016, 08:49 am »
Stage managers working under our collective agreement are independent contractors.  I reviewed the relevant clause, and the burden is specifically on the Engager to consult with stage management and inform CAEA:

"At the beginning of each Season the Engager, having consulted with stage management, will identify and inform Equity with respect to which productions  ... contain elements with extraordinary risks."

My fault for not being clear on the language.  Again, my question is mostly about stage managers themselves being included in riders or equivalents for extraordinary risk coverage.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2016, 03:16 pm »
I am covered an extraordinary risk rider on my current show, due to climbing a 15 foot straight ladder to get to the calling station.

I have been covered under it before working on a rake deck, and having to crawl under the deck.

As an union SM, I never had to handle pyro, etc - so thus have never been covered under the clause for that.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

LizzG

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: First National Tour
« Reply #4 on: Feb 29, 2016, 10:51 am »
I've been covered under the extraordinary risk clause for a show I subbed on as well for climbing a raked stage constructed during the performance (prior to the actors climbing it).