Author Topic: ELECTRICS: Woe is Me, Let's Make a Tree!  (Read 7550 times)

benthehack

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • http://
ELECTRICS: Woe is Me, Let's Make a Tree!
« on: Oct 16, 2004, 10:08 pm »
Hello All,

I've issues with my lighting department. That said, I am the lighting (and management, and sound, and properties, and effects, and even costuming) department for my low-budget theatre troope. We had lighting trees on order to hang our 8 instruments from, and they are not going to be here for the first performance. We are in an antiquated courthouse, however, we have all the power we need and the design looks neat. Yet we've only tested the lights, not hung them (due to the lack of tree(s)).

What should I do? It does not work to run the show without tech. Can I create a tree? My director (in all his artistic glory) suggested hanging lights from a ladder. The thought hit me... if I could secure the metal ladder to the floor, COULD I do this? Any other ideas? This would be a great help.
« Last Edit: Jun 08, 2009, 10:12 pm by PSMKay »

dchec2100

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Woe is Me, Let's Make a Tree!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 21, 2004, 11:23 am »
Sorry, no really useful help here, although a ladder does seem like a pretty good replacement.  I'm interested to know what you end up using, so please keep us posted!

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: Oct 21, 2004, 06:11 pm »
Can you get a metal or other round pole-shaped floor-to-ceiling pipe at, say, home depot that can be locked at the top and along the sides to the wall? Seems like it might be an easy solve - or maybe drop a tressle from the ceiling?

benthehack

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 21, 2004, 06:31 pm »
I forgot to mention that we are in a 'historical reserved' place, so our damage is minimal. I wanted to put in a truss but, no, shot down. Maybe I could attach to the wall somehow... thanks for your thoughts :)

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 21, 2004, 09:21 pm »
I assume you don't have the budget, but I work in hotels all the time where they bring in scaffolding and a free-standing truss or two from which they hang side light. And I assume there isn't enough of an aisle to safely roll in one of those free-standing round-based pole-style trees?

Actually, a ladder sounds like a pretty decent option, all things considered - are you using an extension ladder locked to the wall somehow?

But you're so right, solving this will take major creativity...

benthehack

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 22, 2004, 01:43 am »
Yes, my budget is very limited. However, asking for some corporate help never hurt anyone (or at least, that I've heard of). The free standing tree would have been ideal... but such is life. For the ladder option, do you think sandbags on the bottom step/rungs would be effective enought, or should I still somehow either lean/attach to the wall?

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 22, 2004, 02:26 am »
anything to keep it out of easy audience pathway in the house, or actor pathway backstage...I think leaning against a wall, w sandbags on the ground AND rungs along w some form of masking it is a good option.

I will try to pull up my long-gone memories of the summer I spent in Edinburgh (a gazillion years ago) when we also could not attach anything to the walls of the city hall community center we were using as a theater, and yet we had trees and sidelight somehow - if I can figure out what we did I will let you know -

regardless, good luck! (or rather, break a lamp...)

benthehack

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 22, 2004, 10:21 pm »
Oh God I hope we don't break a lamp!!! :P (However, I appriciate the gesture) But thanks for the info- your help has been appriciated.

Ben ;)