Author Topic: COMMUNICATION: Director giving husband in the cast notes after opening?  (Read 2723 times)

nikkiec

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
So I'm currently in an odd situation and would love some thoughts:  The show I'm currently working is at a very small theatre.  VERY small.  The show's director is married to the lead.  We are currently about half-way thru the run.  When I came in today, I was told by the actor to no longer put out a prop as he had talked to his wife and they cut the bit involving the prop.  Also found out that she is giving him notes from the shows based on what she gets in performance reports (sound cues taken off him operating the TV) before I see him the next day (he's gone before I'm down from the booth after the show).
I don't know what to do about the situation, but it make me feel slightly pointless aside from being a button pusher.  Any thoughts would be wonderful.

Edited to add topic tag- Maribeth
« Last Edit: Mar 22, 2013, 09:46 pm by Maribeth »
Done and Done

On_Headset

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Re: Director giving husband in the cast notes after opening?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 22, 2013, 09:34 pm »
I don't see a problem here. If the situation is functional (you're being kept in the loop, nobody's fighting or arguing, notes are only being given between the two spouses, etc.), getting involved is likely to make you look like a territorial meddler, and would essentially involve pitching yourself against their marriage. Neither of these things end well for you.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Director giving husband in the cast notes after opening?
« Reply #2 on: Mar 22, 2013, 09:39 pm »
All I would do is ask the husband, the actor, to make sure that you are in the loop for the notes - so you aren't surprised or thrown for a loop - and make sure there is no impact on the rest of the cast - and if he feels odd doing that, just ask the director if you can be kept in the loop.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

riotous