Author Topic: SAFETY: Diary Of Anne Frank no shoes  (Read 3593 times)

kdshort1

• New to Town
  • Hi! :)
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Alumni of SVSU, Member of Pit & Balcony
  • Current Gig: In between: Next is The Cockfight Play at Pit & Balcony
  • Experience: Community Theatre
SAFETY: Diary Of Anne Frank no shoes
« on: Dec 20, 2017, 09:34 pm »
Hey gang!

I'm currently stage managing The Diary of Anne Frank and they speak specifically about not wearing shoes in the annex.  They are wearing stockings.  Just wondering if anyone has done this and/or has suggestions for how to do this safely?  We'd like to explore options to avoid having to go without some sort of foot protection. Thanks in advance! :)

Edited to add topic tag - Maribeth
« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2018, 05:28 pm by Maribeth »

bex

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Affiliations: AEA, Auburn University
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM/ASM
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Diary Of Anne Frank no shoes
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2017, 10:25 pm »
I've done plenty of shows with barefoot actors. I make sure the TD knows and then do a really good sweep of the deck and backstage, and never had an issue.  Is there a specific reason why you think it wouldn't be safe for someone to be barefoot onstage?
You will have to sing for your supper & your mortgage, your dental coverage & your children's shoes, over & over again while people in desk jobs roll their eyes the minute you start to complain. So it's a good thing you like to sing.

Joshua S.

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AGMA
  • Current Gig: Asst. Production Manager - Mason Gross School of the Arts
Re: Diary Of Anne Frank no shoes
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2017, 03:35 pm »
I agree with bex.  Unless there is a strong reason not to have barefoot actors, then you just make the deck safe for bare feet. 

Other options...  you could do nude colored ballet slippers under the stockings.  They would provide a little bit of protection to the sole of the foot while still providing natural movements in the ankle joint and arch.  Unless the audience is VERY close I doubt they could tell the difference, since feet look weird anyway.

AndyS

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Suppliant Women (Ęschylus) - United Players
Re: SAFETY: Diary Of Anne Frank no shoes
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2018, 04:22 am »
Similar to Joshua's, but if the audience is quite close and you want even lower profile, you could wrap their feet in cloth tape (broad medical tape, or hockey tape, like dancers often do). You'd have some protection but still have toe-shaped-toes and such.

I agree, though - as long as you sweep and mop the deck carefully (which would presumably be happening anyway) there's usually no reason to worry about bare feet.