Author Topic: NEW WORKS: Devised theatre: The how to help  (Read 3567 times)

sross16

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
NEW WORKS: Devised theatre: The how to help
« on: Jul 02, 2013, 12:18 pm »
Hello,
I am beginning to start SMing my 2nd play in undergrad, so I am still inexperienced and learning. However my next show is beginning to meet and collaborate and it is a devised show piece based off of a fairy tale. I have a script supervisor who is apart of the SM team however I have been assigned the (almost) PSM position. It is my job to record movements and technical ideas and of course all the other regular SMing duties  however I am worried on how to do my blocking(or movement) notation and how to record these technical elements without a solid script???

Please give all of your tips for this kind of show! :D

Edited to add topic tag- Maribeth
« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2013, 09:52 pm by Maribeth »

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Devised theatre: The how to help
« Reply #1 on: Jul 02, 2013, 06:10 pm »
While it isn't specifically about devised theatre, we had a conversation a ways back about working on unscripted productions with a focus on improv. It may help.

amagelssen

• New to Town
  • Keep calm and carry on
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: The New Colony
  • Current Gig: The New Colony/Bailiwick Chicago--Rise of the Numberless
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: Jul 03, 2013, 01:44 am »
Something I did with my last devised show was record blocking and scene notes in the same document. Since we had a "scenario" ( a summary of scenes), but no script, I took notes on how we improvised scenes and what movement was used in them. It was a comedia del arte piece and so fairly physical. We did not get a script until two days before tech which made traditional blocking notation impossible.

sross16

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #3 on: Jul 03, 2013, 01:25 pm »
Something I did with my last devised show was record blocking and scene notes in the same document. Since we had a "scenario" ( a summary of scenes), but no script, I took notes on how we improvised scenes and what movement was used in them. It was a comedia del arte piece and so fairly physical. We did not get a script until two days before tech which made traditional blocking notation impossible.

Thanks this is helps a lot! We have a story we're basing it off but when it comes to breaking it up in manageable bits should I attempt to do that? Or should my director? Also what are some important pre production questions I should definitely ask?

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #4 on: Jul 03, 2013, 03:38 pm »
strongly urge you to follow the link PSMKay so kindly posted cuz there were some great ideas hashed out at length in a previous discussion

riotous