Author Topic: COSTUMES: Need Body Paint- any ideas?  (Read 3845 times)

StageManagerV

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: ZACH Theatre, Staff PSM
  • Experience: Professional
COSTUMES: Need Body Paint- any ideas?
« on: Jul 08, 2008, 01:06 pm »
Hello fellow stage mangers and stage manageresses,

A random question for you all: I am doing "The Pillowman" in Wellfleet, MA and we are looking for good body paint to use on our 11-year old "green girl" who is supposed to be covered in green paint.

I need something that won't drip too much, will dry on her arms, hands, neck and face, and can be matched to paint which wil be applied to her shirt and pants permanently. Also, we will have to spray or apply hair color to her hair every night.

This stuff needs to come off completely, since Lily goes to camp during the day and it'd be kind of awkward if she were to be- well, green all day.

We go into tech in one week. Ive looked into the Ben Nye MagiColor Liquid Face Paints, but I don't know if I can get my hands on large quantities of it- I'm going to have to paint this girl green 5 nights a week.

Whatever I end up getting, I can order it and have it shipped here ASAP.

I don't think we want to look into airbrush spray ideas, although that would be ideal- It's a little outside of our budget range.

I've looked also at the liquid latex paints, which I don't like the sound of- it shouldn't look like a costume or plastic, it should look like a little girl was dumped in a vat of flourescent green paint.

Any help that you guys can give would be much appreciated.

Thanks so much,
~V
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2009, 03:07 am by PSMKay »
"All the world's a stage, and all the men and women in it merely players."
As You Like It, II.iv.137, Wm. Shakespeare

ScooterSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
Re: Need Body Paint- any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 08, 2008, 10:39 pm »
The liquid latex may be something to explore.  It is fairly easy to apply (brushes on), comes in many flourescent colors which can be powdered down to take out any of the plastic-y look, and peels off at the end of the day.  If your actor has lots of body/facial hair she may need to shave once before putting it on.  The cheapest place I have ever found it is at adult entertainment stores, where it usually can be purchased in large quantities.  Pleasures in Boston should have it or be able to point you to other stores that might carry it. 
“I've never been paid a lot, but the theatre has kept me, and for that I shall be eternally grateful.” Tony Church

SM.Robert

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 11, 2008, 02:33 am »
The easiest thing to apply would probably would be Ben Nye Liquid paint and apply it using an airbrush...

BalletPSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Stage Management Faculty at Baylor University
« Reply #3 on: Jul 12, 2008, 09:02 am »
The liquid latex may be something to explore.

Just make sure your green girl doesn't have any latex allergies! 

Stage managing is getting to do everything your mom told you not to do - read in the dark, sit too close to the TV, and play with the light switches!