Author Topic: COSTUMES: How involved do you get with costumes and wardrobe?  (Read 12230 times)

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
  • Experience: Professional
y'know, this is one of those places I draw the line. Costumes are someone else's bailiwick, I can help by making sure actors know who launders and when, and with complete novices I have made my own costume plot for my own reference (for QC concerns) but otherwise, I step away - costumes are not my department. Not to say I haven't loaned things occasionally, or helped the costumer by suggesting places to find certain items, but I am a stage manager, not wardrobe mistress.

Split off and moved from the Uploaded Forms board.  Uploaded Forms is not for discussion.
« Last Edit: Feb 15, 2010, 04:34 pm by PSMKay »

gelo141

• New to Town
  • I am not a teacher, I'm an awakener!
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Beauty and the Beast
  • Experience: High School
COSTUMES: How involved do you get with costumes and wardrobe?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2010, 10:36 am »
Among otherthings, I am the robe mistress, and know from experience that any feedback from the director/ stagemanager/ choreographer is helpful.  Costuming can be so crucicial to a production that it makes or breaks a production - take Annie, w/o the red dress it's just the story of a perky orphan who gets adopted by a rich guy.  I've only ever seen a dress get applause once- and that is when Annie walks on stage in her iconic dress and wig. Sorry for venting, pet peeve.  :)
There is really nothing you must be. & there is nothing you must do. There is really nothing you must have. & there is nothing you must know. There is really nothing you must become. However it helps to understand that fire burns, & when it rains . . .

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
COSTUMES: How involved do you get with costumes and wardrobe?
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2010, 10:46 am »
Oh, I expect to know abt the costumes and work w the costumer abt QC and other issues - I just don't provide forms, take measurements, do laundry or repairs (except rare emergencies during a performance, and even then I give instructions rather than do most of the time since I still have to call cues) - I expect to get the plot, I love when the costumer is brilliant and makes a statement w his/her choices, will help actors who have to provide their own w suggestions abt stores, but I just won't do their job

gelo141

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Re: COSTUMES: How involved do you get with costumes and wardrobe?
« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2010, 08:29 am »
I guess that my perspective is a little skewed, in all of the time that we have been working on our productions we haven't had a stage manager per se.  I very often am the person backstage keeping us together, as well as the one trying to get us organize before hand (that would be how I found this forum).  And I have to be a little pedantic about the last post - as stage manager, aren't you the source of forms and organization and the motivation for communication? Leave the sewing and construction to those of us who know about such things, but you could help us out by giving us tools to help us do our jobs. :)
There is really nothing you must be. & there is nothing you must do. There is really nothing you must have. & there is nothing you must know. There is really nothing you must become. However it helps to understand that fire burns, & when it rains . . .

NomieRae

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA, Adelphi University
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2010, 12:01 pm »
I am all about facilitating communication ("so and so needs to be able to do x, y, & z in her shoes") and generating paperwork and being there for costuming/wardrobe for questions and concerns through rehearsal & tech.

I also have a background in wardrobe so I tend to generate also a lot of empathy for what that department goes through especially when it comes to opera and large scale musicals...so I may be a little more doting than some stage managers in that area... While sympathetic, I don't do anyone's job--it falls in the same vein that I wouldn't want the wardrobe crew to be giving a 10 minute call or collecting valuables. For me it's a 'stepping on toes' issue more than anything.
--Naomi
"First, I honor life, and with it my life in theatre." -- Jacques Burdick

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2010, 12:16 pm »
as NomieRae said - it's stepping on toes. I generate forms and organize the overall show and things that directly pertain to me, but I would never suggest my forms to a costumer, or even have forms to suggest. Each has his or her own way of collecting the info needed, and those folks generate forms when they need them. I expect the costumer to give me a plot, and we will discuss when I think QCs are (an experienced costumer will know abt QCs before I do since they have already had that discussion w the director abt who wears what when) and we will together make sure there is time to rehearse any that might be scary. But being sympathetic (or even empathetic) and even having done wardrobe doesn't mean I do their job. Yes, on rare occasion, my knowledge in the field has helped when we have had emergencies (needing to clean a costume between matinee and evening when u/s did one and the original player the other with no back-up pieces), or wardrobe busy w QC while someone else's hem needs to be gaff taped up or zipper safety pinned) and once, w a brand new costumer, I shared sample costume plots from other shows, but that was handled as suggestion only. Bottom line, I don't expect them to do my job and I don't expect to do theirs. In addition to treading on toes, it's also an issue of respect.

gelo141

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 18, 2010, 08:57 am »
And that's where the tread started, with one of the costume forms that I use in our productions.  Being backstage can be a very Taoist experience, so let me quote Lao Tzu:

Act without acting;
conduct affairs without trouble of them;
taste what has no flavour;
consider the small as great and the few as many;
repay injury with kindness.

Anticipate difficulties while things are still easy;
achieve great things with small beginnings.

All difficult things arise from something easy;
All great things begin with something small.

Therefore:

The Sage, without great effort, is able to accomplish the greatest things.

He who lightly promises will keep little faith.
He who thinks things easy will find them difficult.

Therefore:

The Sage takes care even in what seems easy, and so never has any difficulties.

I'm just saying that it is everyone's job to help everyone else on the production, and I don't consider it an imposition to have someone say, "Hey, I found this form (on this really great forum that I'm part of) and think that it might be helpful to us with our production to use it.  Use it or not, but it's somewhere to start."

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 18, 2010, 12:08 pm »
I'm just saying that it is everyone's job to help everyone else on the production, and I don't consider it an imposition to have someone say, "Hey, I found this form (on this really great forum that I'm part of) and think that it might be helpful to us with our production to use it.  Use it or not, but it's somewhere to start."

Honestly, as a union stage manager, if I ever even offered any of my professional costumers a form I had generated, I would lose all credibility, and they would take great offense and consider me stepping way, way over the line. Granted, there have been very rare occasions when I have done shows with novices, and  yes, I have politely offered to help by sharing forms/plots from other costumers (and printed out a page each of several choices). But that is the exception rather than the rule, and it is still better to treat these newbies as if they were pros for the sake of the team.

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #8 on: Feb 18, 2010, 02:07 pm »
I did not have any wardrobe crew for most of my career.  I did laundry for almost every show that I worked on. I did costume repairs, actor measurements and quick changes while calling.

I would frequently do entire runs with only one crew member, if any, and they were usually completely incapable of doing their own laundry.

There is no form that is unwelcome to me! 

babens

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA/AGMA/SMA
« Reply #9 on: Feb 18, 2010, 04:07 pm »
Are you talking handing forms to the designer and/or shop, or run sheets for the actual run?  Because in opera world if you walked in to any rehearsal using costumes and/or wigs and did not hand run sheets to the crew, odds are you'll have a crew sitting around doing nothing.

VSM

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
« Reply #10 on: Feb 19, 2010, 03:20 am »
It all depends on the circumstances of the individual gig.
Sometimes, you are teaching others.
Sometimes, you are learning.
Understand the difference and all is golden...
Ordo ab chao

SMrose

• Permanent Resident
  • all the world's a stage
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Technical Support Services @ Lenoir-Rhyne University
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #11 on: Feb 19, 2010, 08:45 am »
As SM, I'll request a list or form from wardrobe (costume plot, QC, etc.) and supply an example if wardrobe asks or doesn't supply the info in writing.  I also agree w/ comments made that as SM, I pass all info on what will need to happen w/ all aspects of the show ("so and so wears a hat at this point" and so on).

Tempest

• Permanent Resident
  • Learn to love chaos, then tame it.
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Center For Puppetry Arts
« Reply #12 on: Feb 19, 2010, 01:57 pm »
I do a lot of my work at a small theatre that does not have a wardrobe person for the run, and occasionally, VERY amatur or overloaded costumers.  And once we open, the designer is no longer part of the equation.
I've had costumers ask me what sort of format I'd like their information in, ones who have given me genius paperwork, and ones who've handed me hand-scribbled costume plots (which I then typed up in my prefered form).  I've had costumers who have NEVER given me plots, and I've had to generate them from what I see onstage.  Generally, unless their paperwork is brilliant, I'll take it, thank them, and then type it up in the form I'm used to refering to, and keep both on hand.
And during runs, I will definitely do repairs.  At my usual theatre, it's the option of myself (an experienced sewer and historical costumer) making a good repair during half hour, or the ATD slapping some gaff tape on something, or doing some very clumsy stitching, on Monday, days away.  I'll do the repair myself, so I know I don't have to worry about it the rest of the run.
But, like everyone's advice, my experience is very site specific; I wouldn't dream of picking up a needle at a "fully stocked" theatre with a dedicated wardrobe crew, or giving any paperwork advice to a designer who's got their act together (well, perhaps except for my tried and true "special laundry instructions" form!)
Jessica: "Of course I have a metric size 4 dinglehopper in my kit!  Who do you think I am?"

maximillionx

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Feb 19, 2010, 03:28 pm »
My involvement depends on the situation; in either I would be sending the costumer a character plot and expect one back, depending on the complexity of the show.  I did work in a costume shop, so I'm not deficient by any means, and would gladly lend a hand if asked.
My current gig might require me to help out putting on a button, hemming a garment, or something else small.  I'd leave the more advanced work, like sewing a zipper...damn zippers...to the designer or my assistant who does the laundering and other repairs.
In college, I would walk away from costumes and let the crew handle it.  I would be involved it if were a part of a change so I could help coordinate or position, but that's about it.

EustaceSM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #14 on: Jan 24, 2016, 09:45 am »

Honestly, as a union stage manager, if I ever even offered any of my professional costumers a form I had generated, I would lose all credibility, and they would take great offense and consider me stepping way, way over the line. Granted, there have been very rare occasions when I have done shows with novices, and  yes, I have politely offered to help by sharing forms/plots from other costumers (and printed out a page each of several choices). But that is the exception rather than the rule, and it is still better to treat these newbies as if they were pros for the sake of the team.

How does Wardrobe runsheets fall into that statement? Very curious as I tend to prepare those for the wardrobe crew and consult wardrobe head with QC and presets and other tasks.