Author Topic: COMMUNICATION: Sign Language  (Read 4405 times)

MarcieA

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Lake George Dinner Theatre/Tri Cities Opera
  • Experience: Professional
COMMUNICATION: Sign Language
« on: Jun 28, 2005, 01:50 am »
I've been studying ASL (American Sign Language) for 3 years or so now, and would one day like to be stage managing for deaf productions/theatres. I know of one specifically in my area and a number of theatres across the country and while I'm not looking at this moment to leave my current position, I will be doing so in the next year, and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this and would care to share?

Thanks!
marcie
« Last Edit: Jun 08, 2009, 10:30 pm by PSMKay »
Companions whom I loved and still love, tell them my song.

smejs

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, USITT
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM in Denver
Sign Language
« Reply #1 on: Jun 28, 2005, 10:26 am »
Have always wondered about it myself, but only know a few signs beyond the alphabet.  Helped greatly though at my cousin's wedding (bride and groom and several guests were deaf).

That said, I LOVED the last version of BIG RIVER with the half-deaf/half-hearing cast.  Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful.  Especially the 2 moments when they used the non-hearing people's own voices to get a point a cross.  Poignant.

And signed performances of any show I do are often my favorite, especially if I'm calling from the booth and can view most of it!  

I know this really doesn't answer your question, just wanted to share.

Erin

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
Sign Language
« Reply #2 on: Jun 28, 2005, 08:13 pm »
MarcieA - PM me with specific qqs and info on where you are - I work in sign language theatre

jenk

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://
Sign Language
« Reply #3 on: Oct 07, 2005, 08:26 pm »
If you're interested in a good summer gig, between seasons or whtever, Seattle Children's Theatre has a great summer program for deaf teens, a musical theatre program, if you can believe it. They have a really spectacular staff, and it has been an incredibly rewarding experience for everyone I've known that's been involved. A few summers ago they did an interpretation of "West Side Story" that was truly amazing. Their website is www.sct.org, and I believe Linda Jo is the person to contact, but click on the "jobs, internships, and auditions" to be sure.

riotous