Author Topic: COMMUNICATION: Rental set dilemma  (Read 4563 times)

Beatr79

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
COMMUNICATION: Rental set dilemma
« on: May 01, 2009, 11:29 am »
I worked on a show last year with a set that is now being rented out to other companies.  A work colleague is in prep for a show that will being using this set, and has asked me to meet with the director to help him understand the way the set functions.  (My colleague is on the creative staff, not an SM and they have been having trouble getting clear information from the rental company).  I said I'd be happy to help, as its a good contact for me to make, but I'm starting to wonder if I'm betraying someone here.  

The set itself is not a straight-forward location or scene specific set.  Rather, it has several components that are arranged and re-arranged through out the show to create new environments.  The set has specific "tricks" and ways the units hook together, which ultimately put the pieces together in a way that supported my director / scenic designer's concept.  So my question is this:  how much information is appropriate for me to provide to this new creative team?  How the set functions, but not what scenes each configuration was used for?  Or is it ok to give scene-by-scene information, since its directly tied into how the units are built and operate?

In all honesty, I'm concerned that I may accidentally enable a director to steal some of the work of another director.  I don't think that is the intention of the director, but I fear it nonetheless and don't want to jeopardize my relationship with the first director in the process.  Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2009, 02:23 am by PSMKay »

NomieRae

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA, Adelphi University
Re: Rental set dilemma
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 12:01 pm »
I'd be more comfortable doing this walk thru with the scenic designer if they were available since while you may have more of the "tricks" to explain, the designer can share their vision.

Overall I wouldn't be too concerned, if they wanted a completely original concept they wouldn't have rented a set....
--Naomi
"First, I honor life, and with it my life in theatre." -- Jacques Burdick

SMrose

• Permanent Resident
  • all the world's a stage
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Technical Support Services @ Lenoir-Rhyne University
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 03:48 pm »
Overall I wouldn't be too concerned, if they wanted a completely original concept they wouldn't have rented a set....

I agree w/ NomieRae.

Also, with a rented set, directors are somewhat locked into how blocking is going to work on an already existing set (doors and windows are where they are).  Is this a production of the same show you did with this set?

Beatr79

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 10:29 pm »
Yes, this next production that I'm consulting on is for the same show.

Perhaps I should clarify my concern here...my concern is that I'm somehow helping director #2 inadvertently use/borrow/steal the creative choices of Director #1.  Director #2, of course, by using a rented set, is accepting the choices made by someone else. 

My main concern lies in Director #1.  He knew this set would be rented beyond his production, but I doubt he expected the next director to have access to the sort of info I have (including shift plots, scene by scenes, even staging tricks to mask scenic moves, etc.) which are connected to his vision of the show.  I'm thinking of sending Director #1 an email, letting him know that I've been enlisted to this end, and see how he feels about it.  I do not want to jeopardize my relationship with him in order to forge a new one with another director. 

Having clarified my concerns, I'd love additional feedback...am I over-thinking this?  Does this sort of thing happen in the business more often than I'm aware? 

Thanks for any additional input.

SMrose

• Permanent Resident
  • all the world's a stage
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Technical Support Services @ Lenoir-Rhyne University
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 11:25 am »

I'm thinking of sending Director #1 an email, letting him know that I've been enlisted to this end, and see how he feels about it.  I do not want to jeopardize my relationship with him in order to forge a new one with another director. 

Does this sort of thing happen in the business more often than I'm aware? 

To answer question #2 first: sets from one companys' production are often sold/rented to another company presenting the same show.

On question #1 I agree with your own comment--definately get in touch w/ director and see how he feels about it.

Let us know how that goes.

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 12:23 pm »
I'd be more worried about designer #1 getting the proper recognition/payment/etc... for his intellectual property being used again. 

As far as the intellectual property of director #1 - don't even bring that paperwork with you to rehearsal.  Any shift changes, staging tricks, etc... is going to be dictate by director #2's vision and idea.  You don't build a show's creative vision from paperwork.  If he does begin to go this way, he clearly hasn't done his homework and that's a conversation to have with the management of show #2.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 12:28 pm by kmc307 »
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

Beatr79

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 04:17 pm »
Thanks to everyone for your input.  I followed my gut and contacted Director #1, telling him that I was approached to help on this project as a casual favor to a friend, asking if he was ok with this arrangement, and, if he wasn't, assuring him that I hadn't yet given them any info, and would not.

I am so glad I followed this course of action.  Director #1 was very gracious and appreciative of my consideration for his intellectual property, and asked that I refrain from giving any production info to Team #2.  Easy enough.  I told my friend I couldn't help him out.  Case closed.