Author Topic: CALLING: Using shape templates for creating calling scripts  (Read 5997 times)

NJ.JerrySmith

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Jerry Smith | Stage Manager
  • Affiliations: AGMA
  • Experience: Professional
Hi all,
     I'm currently enrolled at a drafting course at my university as part of my stage management studies. We recently covered tools in class and a shape template was mentioned. I found this interesting because I tend to differentiate my cues in my book with shapes. After some research I found that templates come in a variety of shapes. However, most templates come with shapes of a bajillion different sizes and I'm only in need of one. After a lot of googling I have yet to find anything like this for stage managers.

My question to the forum is if anyone has found anything like that, or has suggestions on how to make something like a shape template. My stage management class this semester has us making a fake book so I think this would be a perfect opportunity to try it out. Thanks in advance for any and all help!
« Last Edit: Sep 27, 2012, 10:46 pm by jthermane24 »

Maribeth

• View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: CALLING: Using shape templates for creating calling scripts
« Reply #1 on: Oct 03, 2012, 06:33 pm »
Hi Jerry,
I don't know that anything like that exists specifically for stage managers. However, there's nothing stopping you from using a template made for another purpose- I have one that uses basic shapes. (I mostly just use it as a straight edge when penciling cues into my book.)

Or, you could make it yourself. I know one stage manager who made rubber stamps- she stamped her template on, then wrote her cues in. You could do that, or take a cereal box or stiff piece of plastic and an exacto knife and cut a template out that fits your needs. In my opinion, it's probably easier to find the template that has the shape you want in the size you want, and then just use the one you need. Draftingsteals.com has a ton of templates. (They even have ones with little furniture, like pianos and couches, if you're inclined to use templates for blocking.)

Best of luck!

Maribeth

themikejones

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Homepage
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: Oct 04, 2012, 10:40 am »
I've used the same shape template for years.  http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/831495/Staedtler-Mars-Template-Sketch-Master/  It's cheap and easy to find. 

VilleSM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Community Theatre League, SCCT, The Wilma
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2012, 11:26 am »
I do something like this for my calling scripts - I usually circle my warning and square my Go, but I still make sure to differentiate what is being warned in both color and notation.

i.e. My sound warnings are usually notated in red as SQ-R (circled), with SQ-R-GO in a square.
My light warnings are usually notated in blue as L-117 (circled) with L-117-GO in a square.
etc.

Although I have never seen anybody else do it this way, it keeps me in line with everything. Plus, I have a key at the beginning of my book in case anybody ever has to call from my script for some reason or another.
"The stage is not merely the meeting place of all the arts, but is also the return of art to life." - Oscar Wilde

riotous