Author Topic: PEOPLE: dealing with theatre romance  (Read 6724 times)

kate12

• New to Town
    • View Profile
PEOPLE: dealing with theatre romance
« on: Feb 18, 2006, 11:02 pm »
Hi everybody -
Question for you all.  We all know that theatre romance happens, but how do you deal with it when it occurs between members of your crew?  I have a couple of good techies, who have suddenly become far more interested in each other than the show.  It is annoying for me to have to keep dragging them back to the task at hand, and I feel bad about being a grouch, but on the other hand they have a job to do and I don't want them setting a carless example for others.  Techs are supposed to be the ones on top of things.  How do you deal with this?  Thanks!
Kate
« Last Edit: Jun 08, 2009, 11:06 pm by PSMKay »

Melugin

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • http://
:P
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2006, 02:49 am »
that exact same thing happened to me! except in my junior year at high school. they didn't do anything except make out, and they were in the class, so they had to be there to supposedly work. or whatever. i had to talk to the director about it. or, the TD. either one. tell them. that's what i would do. that's what i did.

-liz :)
If All the World's a Stage, i want to operate the Trap Door!

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
dealing with theatre romance
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2006, 03:24 am »
First of all - pro or amdram?

If Amdram:

Pull the crew members asside, separatly. Tell them that whilst you appreciate that they are not getting paid to be here, they are detracting from the show, and it is totally unacceptable. If you have a ready supply of people able to step up and take over their job, be frank and say "Look, if you can't stay focused on the job, I will be forced to find a replacement. Everyone else here is giving up their time to be here and make this show happen, giving a hundred and ten percent. And if you are not willing to do the same, and keep your private life out of the show, it is unfair to everyone else, and I can easily find someone to replace you. I hate doing this, yadda yadda yadda" (read: Lay on the guilt as thickly as you can).

If Professional, things become a lot simpler:

"Can I speak with you for a moment, x and y? I have noticed that your attention is not completely on the show. Whilst I appreciate the fact that you two are involved in a budding relationship, this is not the time or place to explore it. If you continue to ignore your responsibility to the show, I will have no excuse but to give the both of you written warning and to take this up with management. I dont like being a spoil sport, but you are being paid to be here, and whilst you are here and under my supervision, I expect your complete attention to be on the job at hand. I do not like being put into this position, but I have a responsibility to the show and the rest of the cast, crew and creative team to ensure that what the audience sees is the best it can be. So if you could keep your relationship to outside the show, I would be extreamly greatful."

Rhynn

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Experience: High School
Re: PEOPLE: dealing with theatre romance
« Reply #3 on: Nov 04, 2012, 02:23 am »
I had a theatre romance develop during set construction.  By the time we were in techs, I had reassigned the crew jobs so that one was working in the booth and another was backstage.  The backstage person was not on headset, either.
-----
I'm flattered, but the answer is still no.

riotous