Poll

How long does it take for you to create an average rehearsal report?

Less than 5 minutes
5-15 minutes
15-20 minutes
20-30 minutes
30-45 minutes
45+ minutes

Author Topic: COMMUNICATION: How long does it take to create a rehearsal report? (Poll)  (Read 10524 times)

Sarah

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Noises Off
  • Experience: Professional
This poll was created to address a question in this thread.

Edit - Fixed the topic so people know what's going on in here.  Slithy toves optional.  -PSMK
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2009, 01:17 am by PSMKay »

Aerial

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Winter's Tale, Gamm Theatre
Re: Twas Brillig...
« Reply #1 on: Oct 08, 2007, 02:05 am »
I voted that on average it takes me 5-15 minutes, probably closer to the 15.  That being said, I think how long it takes me to put together and send my rehearsal report depends a lot on the type of show I'm doing and what point in the process we're at.  A new play, where I'm inputting text changes in my report is going to take a lot longer.  Usually, I find the first few days of blocking to lead to longer reports because more discoveries are being made.  And of course it depends on if I've been able to input the info into my laptop as we go in rehearsal.  Lots of factors.

BalletPSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Stage Management Faculty at Baylor University
Re: Twas Brillig...
« Reply #2 on: Oct 08, 2007, 06:59 am »
Well...are we voting on the time that we are devoting solely to the rehearsal report?  I do mine on my computer over the course of rehearsals -- so really, about 3 hours.  To actually finish it up and send it out is the 5-15 range.....

can we clarify the poll to reflect that, depending on what you're actually interested in knowing?

and purely out of curiosity, why did you choose to title this poll as you did?
« Last Edit: Oct 08, 2007, 07:01 am by BalletPSM »
Stage managing is getting to do everything your mom told you not to do - read in the dark, sit too close to the TV, and play with the light switches!

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: How long does it take to create a rehearsal report? (Poll)
« Reply #3 on: Oct 08, 2007, 10:30 am »
5-15 for me - however it depends on how comprehensive I need to be. I write fairly comprehensive notes as I go through the rehearsal, however my actual 'distribution' show report is usually a fairly brief summary that takes me 15 minutes that night to read through my notes and summarise into my rehearsal report form.

Then again, I had an anally retentive producer one year who wanted every naughty word spoken, or uttered in anger, every missed line and every blocking deviation noted and he wanted them signed off by me and the director as "official rehearsal transcripts" (his words not mine). Average time spent writing them up at the end of each day? 2 and a half hours (it was a fully paid 2.5 hrs and not just 'homework', thank god). Thankfully the director just signed off on them, trusting me, otherwise we could have spent another 2 hours arguing on semantics.

Sarah

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 08, 2007, 02:50 pm »
can we clarify the poll to reflect that, depending on what you're actually interested in knowing?

At this point, I am interested only in the specificity and semantics of notes contained in the report. Here is a link to a brief survey. Polling will close one week from today; I will post the results as soon as I can organize the information.

**Edit-the survey has been closed. Thanks to all who participated.
« Last Edit: Oct 18, 2007, 01:01 am by Sarah »

ljh007

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #5 on: Oct 09, 2007, 07:33 pm »
For people like me who missed the original title of this thread, what was it? (Did it reference Carroll's poem "Jabberwocky"?)

I finish my reports in 20-30 minutes, because I am obsessive about stupid things like line weight and margin spacing. Hey, we all get our kicks somehow.

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #6 on: Oct 09, 2007, 09:15 pm »
It was "Twas Brillig."

Sorry, should have thought to mention that.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #7 on: Oct 09, 2007, 09:32 pm »
I think it also depends on the size of the show and the production.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

Sarah

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 09, 2007, 10:11 pm »
Matthew, I agree with you that the particulars of creating any given rehearsal report depend upon the size of the show and the production's scope. I think though, that there are general guidelines we have created for ourselves and that's what I'd like to learn more about. That, and the myriad ways we choose to express "director-speak" and rehearsal notes. I think a more detailed "director-speak" survey will be next.

erin

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://www.obscure.org/~nimue/resume.html
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #9 on: Oct 10, 2007, 05:05 am »
Tough questions.  Depends on how loaded the day was, if it was a "touch on lots of scenes for the first time and come up with oodles of notes" sorta day or a "work the same 3 pages for 8 hours" kind of day.   
If it's a relatively slow day, i can do all of the report during rehearsal and then just print, proof, and distribute in about 10 minutes.  If it's been a crazy hectic day with lots of discoveries i might spend 45 minutes doing notes after the actors have gone home.

ORTaurean

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 10, 2007, 02:15 pm »
I have a rehearsal report form open in Word on my computer.  When I need to make notes I do.  Then all I ahve to do is read it over, update any changes and add anything I missed and send by email. - Luckily there's a button that sends the document to Entourage and all I have to do is address it.

I love MACs
Acting is standing up naked and turning around very slowly.
-Rosiland Russell

StageMgr2Stars

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 10, 2007, 06:11 pm »
I have a rehearsal report form open in Word on my computer.  When I need to make notes I do.  Then all I ahve to do is read it over, update any changes and add anything I missed and send by email. - Luckily there's a button that sends the document to Entourage and all I have to do is address it.

I love MACs

A button to send right to Entourage?!?! Oh! oh!!! Tell me how to do it!
-C-

zayit shachor

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://thankyouten.blogspot.com
« Reply #12 on: Oct 11, 2007, 01:51 am »
Luckily there's a button that sends the document to Entourage and all I have to do is address it.

Actually, you can do that on a PC too - there's a button at the top next to the save button.  It's wicked useful.

Sarah

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Oct 11, 2007, 09:27 pm »
Just to address some of the above statements to which I haven't yet replied...

and purely out of curiosity, why did you choose to title this poll as you did?

and...

For people like me who missed the original title of this thread, what was it? (Did it reference Carroll's poem "Jabberwocky"?)

The original title was "Twas brillig..." for two reasons: #1, it was shamelessly eye-catching and #2, "Jabberwocky" accurately reflected the idea that all words are nonsensical until given meaning and weight by the writer/speaker and reader/listener. Yes, I am aware that there are many linguistic approaches between thought and language, but this isn't yet the place for Sapir-Whorf...

I finish my reports in 20-30 minutes, because I am obsessive about stupid things like line weight and margin spacing. Hey, we all get our kicks somehow.

In today's electron driven communications systems, a visual statement/conversation is almost, if not as frequent as, a verbal communication. This topic, meaning the specific visual presentation of our necessary communications, is for later on in the study. (My, this is turning out to be a study!)

Also, I'd like to invite those who may have missed the above link to take this survey. There have been 40 respondents to the above poll but only 11 to the survey.

**Edit- Thanks to all who participated; the survey has been closed.
« Last Edit: Oct 18, 2007, 01:02 am by Sarah »

ORTaurean

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Oct 14, 2007, 10:02 am »
View toolbars and see if you have an option for Adobe Acrobat PDF maker.  If you do, that's the tool I'm using.  Just pick the icon that lets you email.

I love MACs

A button to send right to Entourage?!?! Oh! oh!!! Tell me how to do it!
Acting is standing up naked and turning around very slowly.
-Rosiland Russell

riotous