Author Topic: COMMUNICATION: Communicating Who is Called for a Rehearsal  (Read 9825 times)

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
  • Experience: Professional
Re: communicating who is called for a rehearsal
« Reply #15 on: Aug 15, 2011, 12:43 pm »
You also don't need to be afraid to grab the director after rehearsal and sit down quietly as/after the cast goes (not while you are trying to get the cast to gather and settle), having let the cast know you will be calling/emailing (depending on their techie-ness) that night abt any changes to the next day's sched. That will also allow you to 1) be the voice of the sched and 2) give everyone a heads up that things may, and often do, change, so you aren't worried abt someone not checking email until several days later. That means at the end of reh, you can still read out what's on the calendar, but remind them that they will receive an email/call within abt an hour if there are any changes, so they become aware of not making assumptions.

Yes this may entail a few more phone calls (hey, before most folks had computers, that's the way we all did it) but it will help forestall confusion and those cast "oops'" PLUS it keeps everyone in the loop.

Also, if you know certain actors tend to gravitate toward making plans when there's a TBD and especially they haven't been called for a few days, it's always appropriate to pick up the phone and give them a heads up rather than assuming they know.

« Last Edit: Aug 15, 2011, 04:22 pm by loebtmc »

VilleSM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Community Theatre League, SCCT, The Wilma
  • Experience: Community Theatre
Re: communicating who is called for a rehearsal
« Reply #16 on: Aug 15, 2011, 02:00 pm »
I think everybody has had good comments so far.
As to the actor who thought he had a weekend off - when I SM community theatre shows, I expect actors to know all rehearsal times and be aware that they may be called, unless they have specifically given me more than 48 hours notice that they cannot be at a rehearsal that they are not called for. Otherwise, I expect them to check e-mails/online callboards/Facebook/texts (yes, I do them all!) to know that they are supposed to be at rehearsal.

And yes, it does appear that the director is more than stepping on your toes - he has completely taken your shoes. If trying to get him to sit down with you isn't working, is there an Executive Director or Producer you can talk to in order to straighten everything out? Or call an emergency (though I hate that word) Production Meeting with all of the Directors/Choreographers/Producers and yourself in order to sort all rehearsal calls?

Best wishes, and let us know how everything works out!
"The stage is not merely the meeting place of all the arts, but is also the return of art to life." - Oscar Wilde