Author Topic: COMMUNICATION: Broadway 2nd ASM role question  (Read 6886 times)

nmno

COMMUNICATION: Broadway 2nd ASM role question
« on: Jun 11, 2008, 01:28 am »
Okay, a question for those of you who've done broadway level shows...
I'm the 2nd on a broadway level sitdown.  Today we had our first split track show (plus subs in every crew department - a real s&^%-hitting-the-fan kind of night...)  The 1st was called by the PSM at 4p, when the split track show became inevitable; I found out at 5:55p, when I walked in for my 6pm call, to find the PSM, the 1st, the associate choreographer (who happened to be in town), our 2 swings and the dance captain talking thru and figuring out the split tracks.  My question, as the 2nd, should I not expect a phone call?  I feel like since I'm running deck that night and theoretically dealing with all the split track/sub crew issues that I should be in the loop.  I talked to the 1st about it and he said he'd call me in the future (he assumed that the PSM had called me) but I sort of wonder, as the 2nd should I just not expect the call?
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2009, 03:11 am by PSMKay »

gotracigo

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • www.tracigaydos.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA
  • Current Gig: Production Stage Manager
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Broadway 2nd ASM role
« Reply #1 on: Jun 11, 2008, 11:16 am »
nmno,

While I don't know the answer to your question (sorry...), can you explain more about what you mean by a "split track show"?

Thanks much,
t.
Opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of my employer.

nmno

Re: Broadway 2nd ASM role
« Reply #2 on: Jun 12, 2008, 01:51 am »
can you explain more about what you mean by a "split track show"?

(if someone has a more coherent explanation, please share.  Here's my attempt to explain...)

Each actor onstage has a track.  Sometimes the track is just one character (Harold Hill).  But usually the ensemble play more than one character (Jacey Squires in the Barbershop Quartet may also be one of the saleman on the train, a patron in the library, etc.)  The specifics on each character he plays, where he enters/exits, his props, any set moves he performs, his costume changes are all part of the Jacey Squires "track".

In a split track show, you have more people out of a show than understudies/swings to cover the roles, so you have to split the actor tracks to make sure everything get covered. So Swing 1 may do a little of track A in one scene, then be track B in another scene, because those are the characters you need covered in those specific scenes.  (Could also be referred to as a "cut show" because you are cutting characters/tracks from scenes because the swing can only be in so many places at one time.) 
In our case we had Male Swing 1 covering tracks A & B while Male Swing 2 covered track C plus a couple parts of track B when A & B both HAD to be onstage together.  And a female swing covered various parts of A & B when it didn't matter the sex (eg. a waiter became a waitress).  We also cut tracks A & B if they weren't vital to the scene (eg. a patron in a club). 
This then creates issues for wardrobe and hair (who is who when, where are they changing, who is their dresser for each change, a leisurely change is now quick, etc.)  Issues for sound and micing (who is saying what lines, what lines are cut).  Dance department (changing spacing to make up for holes in dance formations).  Sometimes you can have the split tracks all worked out ahead of time as a precaution; but sometimes there are just so many ways that the chips can fall that it because impractical to have every permutation worked out before hand and you just have to create it on the day of.

gotracigo

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • www.tracigaydos.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA
  • Current Gig: Production Stage Manager
Re: Broadway 2nd ASM role question
« Reply #3 on: Jun 12, 2008, 11:05 am »
Thanks so much for the awesome explanation! 
Opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of my employer.

carebear3885q

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 12, 2008, 06:23 pm »
Great explanation, I never knew that before!
So I guess to answer your question, yes you probably should have been called!!!
Carrie

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #5 on: Jun 13, 2008, 03:47 am »
Yes you shd have been called, but sounds like the other folks had their hands full and that each thought you had been called - in other words, it doesn't sound as if you were left out deliberately but rather got lost in the shuffle. Sometimes the focus to solve the split track (or any last-minute yikes) distracts folks from even some of the basics. So don't take it personally. Sounds like you had a tricky evening as it is!

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #6 on: Jun 13, 2008, 08:38 am »
I wouldn't take it personality.  The reality of the situation was they were taking care of the issue to the best of their ability - it doesn't seem like it was a deliberate slant.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

shudson

« Reply #7 on: Jun 17, 2008, 09:57 am »
Hi-

Just confirming you have a PSM and a 1st above you - not sure what you mean by "Broadway level" though - can you clarify?  Are you in a sit down of a tour on a production contract or just a big show somewhere and no nec. on a production contract?

In any case - you shouldn't worry about it.  If you were the 1st, that's one thing but between the PSM and the 1st, the 2nd is more on a need to know basis, providing the team has good communication set up between all of you.

You are running the deck but it's the PSM and the 1st's job to figure it out and then it all trickles downstream, so to speak.  If that communication isn't happening at that point, then I'd be worried.

nmno

« Reply #8 on: Jun 19, 2008, 02:31 pm »
not sure what you mean by "Broadway level" though - can you clarify? 
Yes, a sitdown of a bway show - Production contract.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback...  I feel a little better.  I guess I've had problems with communication on this show (not just from the PSM but all the way up to management) and didn't know if this was another case of that or just the way it is. 

riotous