Author Topic: COMMUNICATION: Artistic Director/Actor/Director/SM Relationship  (Read 3971 times)

smsgirl

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
New to this, so feel free to move if it is not in the correct category...but I need a little advice.  
I work in a New England SPT.  I have stage managed there for three years, and yet it seems like things are constantly changing.  
The theatre has never been more successful...But
The Artistic Director is great to work with, knowledgeable and helpful and patient.  He is acting in the upcoming production and the director has not been in communication with me but in communication with him.  Rehearsal schedules are coming in from the AD and the director will lose patience (it has happened in the past)... How do I reconcile this communication?
A production meeting has been scheduled when I am not available as it is during a performance of the currently running play.  We don't have a production manager, and every other production meeting, I am there to take notes.  
My only assistant on the production is a 15 year old high school student eager to "help out".  
I can not send her for her first production meeting ever and expect to have the correct communication occur, or the correct notes...How do I reconcile this problem?  
And last but not least...back to the Artistic Director.  He is really amazing to work with, but I can't have the same SM to Actor relationship, as he tends to do my job (as it is easier sometimes than delving into the acting).  Does anyone have any advice on how to make sure my boss is not offended when I would like to do my job and have him do his?  
I really appreciate any help to the complexities...
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2009, 12:21 am by PSMKay »

ORTaurean

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Artistic Director/Actor/Director/SM Relationship
« Reply #1 on: Apr 10, 2007, 02:45 pm »
I have worked with my AD as an actor.  He understands when he is performing each role.  At the production meeting he is the AD and in rehearsal he is the actor.  The lines do not cross and he respects those boundaries.  Maybe you need to sit down with your AD and let him know your concerns.  Somehow passing along that if you do your job there's less for him to worry about and he can concentrate on his.  All diplomatic, of course...
Acting is standing up naked and turning around very slowly.
-Rosiland Russell

Aerial

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: The Winter's Tale, Gamm Theatre
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Artistic Director/Actor/Director/SM Relationship
« Reply #2 on: Apr 10, 2007, 11:26 pm »
I would suggest, as a first step making sure to stay in the loop, get in touch with the director.  Touch base about the conversations that they have had with the artistic director so far, making it clear that you just don't want to let things slip through the cracks.  I'd also suggest having the same kind of conversation with the artistic director, making it clear that your biggest concern is knowing everything that is going on related to the production.  Getting him to not do your job for you over the long run is a little trickier.  I'd start by trying to get him to understand that information from conversations that he has with individual directors (who may be friends of his) about things like schedule, the set, etc. needs to be passed on to you.

About the production meeting....assuming it cannot be changed because of other people's schedules...I'd suggest that you think about questions you might have that could come up, and share them with the director when you talk to him/her.  Then, schedule a follow up conversation with the director, and go over those questions, to see if they were addressed at the meeting, and if there was anything else of import that they would like to share.  You could also try sending your inexperienced assistant, telling her to just write down everything she hears...