Author Topic: COMMUNICATION: CC/BCC and Email Etiquette  (Read 3248 times)

SMeustace

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Theat Troupe Theatre Company
  • Experience: College/Graduate
COMMUNICATION: CC/BCC and Email Etiquette
« on: Dec 30, 2013, 04:12 pm »
What do you consider to be general email etiquette and etiquette involving CC and BCC?

I started piecing together, that a few of my SM / ASMs have poor email etiquette. Sounding rude, not following protocol, not sending out reports, or answering in a timely manner.

As a learning tool, I delegated the task of updating the callboard, sending out rehearsal schedules and taking attendance to my ASM.

Edited to add topic tag- Maribeth
« Last Edit: Dec 31, 2013, 12:45 pm by Maribeth »
"On the first day the lord said....Light cue 1, GO! Then there was light".

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: CC/BCC and Email Etiquette
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2013, 09:42 pm »
Here is a prior discussion that addresses the topic of CC/BCC and email:

http://smnetwork.org/forum/tools-of-the-trade/email-best-practices-for-teams/

Regarding what your team has been doing, have you sat down and clearly reviewed with them what your expected protocols are supposed to be?  Do they know what CC and BCC do, both on the sender & recipient/respondent sides? In my current job, a "timely manner" for an email response is 30 minutes, tweets 5 minutes, text messages 2 minutes. How about you?

It's taken for granted that people know how to email and correspond promptly. However it is critical to realize that especially with younger SMs, we're in the post-email generation. Many of them have very little practice in email, and next to none of it in a business situation. I never had training in email, correspondence, timeframe of reply, etc when I was in college 15 years ago because the students were leaps and bounds ahead of the faculty when it came to technology. Average typing speed nationwide is still around 40WPM. For the younger generations it's actually dropping, as they do more typing on touchscreens than on keyboards. Business-appropriate writing in general is not taught much in arts curricula. Some uni students will learn academic writing but it isn't quite the same. SMNetwork mandates business-style writing and proper grammar, and we can see how well that works out.

If the only thing an intern learns to do over the course of an internship is the method of sending a proper email, then I'd say the internship is 100% worthwhile.

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: CC/BCC and Email Etiquette
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2013, 08:35 am »
If the only thing an intern learns to do over the course of an internship is the method of sending a proper email, then I'd say the internship is 100% worthwhile.

Without going into a diatribe on replies to all, redundant emails, etc... I will just say that I 100% agree with your 100% statement!
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

BARussell

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Assistant to the Producers at Goodspeed Musicals
  • Experience: Professional
Re: COMMUNICATION: CC/BCC and Email Etiquette
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2014, 02:14 pm »
Without going into a diatribe on replies to all, redundant emails, etc... I will just say that I 100% agree with your 100% statement!

but for realz!!! OMG! Redundant emails ruin my life.! lOlZ! Also when people CC my superior on something that they delegated to me which totally defeats the point and makes me crazy (similar to a passive aggressive CC but not quite.)

But as far as etiquette goes, learn how to write a business letter and simplify from there. I would rather someone be over formal than send me a text speak email in powder blue monotype corsiva font with emoticons or whatever we call them now.
"We don't negotiate with weirdos!"