Author Topic: CALLING: Is there a right and worng way to call cues????  (Read 5340 times)

starsineyes

• New to Town
    • View Profile
With my many questions about SM since this is my first time since college...I was wondering if there was a wrong and right way to call cues or is it up to you the SM? I am use to a stand-by then light cue 1 go or cue 1 go...so just to make sure I transition into the world from college I wanted to ask first....
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2009, 01:02 am by PSMKay »

ReyYaySM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Freelance
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Is there a right and worng way to call cues????
« Reply #1 on: Sep 13, 2007, 12:48 pm »
Basically, as long as you are calling your cues in a clear, concise manner that your operators understand and the cues are executed at the right times, then there really isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to call them.  Each SM adopts his/her own style as they discover what works best. 

Here are a couple of existing threads you might want to check out related to this topic: 

Calling Cues
Calling a warning for a cue
Lights? Electrics? Elex?

Best of luck to you as you make the transition from college to the professional theatre world!!

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Sep 13, 2007, 01:14 pm »
To add to what dramachic said - consistency is a big thing as well.  Consistency in terms of how long your standys are, your pace in speaking, pause between the cue# and the word go, etc... all should be consistent from cue to cue. 
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

zayit shachor

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://thankyouten.blogspot.com
« Reply #3 on: Sep 13, 2007, 01:41 pm »
Also, I like to check in with my crew to make sure that my cues are clear to them.

LiLz

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Boundless Journey
  • Affiliations: AEA, USITT
« Reply #4 on: Sep 14, 2007, 02:28 am »
I'd say that the right way is the way you are most comfortable with and can be the most consistent with.  Just make sure your crew knows what you're going to do and what you expect in response from them, then do it every time. 

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #5 on: Sep 14, 2007, 04:50 am »
There is a wrong way. That wrong way is calling "Go" before the "Department(Q) ##" and calling "Department(Q) ##" then "Stand by".

Why?

Because if you don't call it in the "acceptable" order, your ops, who will (in most cases) expect the format of "SB D(Q)## D(Q) ## Go!" will probably stuff up.

(ps. The Q is in brackets, because some people like to say "Sound Cue 15" and some like to say "Sound 15". Hence the brackets)

BalletPSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Stage Management Faculty at Baylor University
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #6 on: Sep 14, 2007, 02:03 pm »
I also always try to call all departments in the same order for standby's in the same order.  For example, I always call lights, spots, audio, deck, rail

EX:  Standby LX 15, spot 1 to pick up the boy entering SL, Sound Q C, on deck for the transition, and rail Q 25.

Then the GOs just happen in whatever order they have to happen -- so even if the GOs might be in a different order, the standbys are always the same so that people aren't confused and they know when to listen for their kind of standbys.
Stage managing is getting to do everything your mom told you not to do - read in the dark, sit too close to the TV, and play with the light switches!

LiLz

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Boundless Journey
  • Affiliations: AEA, USITT
« Reply #7 on: Sep 14, 2007, 04:58 pm »
Mac's right, of course.  I guess I was assuming that the basics are a  given and the question had more to do with choosing warns or stand-bys and things like that.  Sorry if my answer led you astray!  Thank goodness this forum allows for multiple answers!

LiLz