Author Topic: CALLING: I am SM a showcase and in need of some help (Calling & running board)  (Read 4608 times)

starsineyes

• New to Town
    • View Profile
So I am stage managing a showcase at the end of the month. We have people to help but it has been said that I will work either the board or sound. I was wondering if any of you have had to do this and how do you handle stand-by's and calling the show if you are also doing something else. I also wanted to see if it was okay to ask for one of the helpers to help out in that department. Plus some of the people who are willing to volenteer have more exceperience for me. Any advise???
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2009, 01:06 am by PSMKay »

sievep

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AGMA
  • Experience: Professional
Re: I am SM a showcase...and I am in need of some help
« Reply #1 on: Sep 12, 2007, 04:40 pm »
Hmm, if I was in your shoes and had a choice, I'd take the light board.  To me, sound can get a little complex (especially if you have mics, etc.)  where the light board is sometimes (mostly, . . . hopefully) just pressing the go button. 

I've also "called" a show where I operated both light and sound cues . . .so it's not like you are actually giving yourself standbys, you just press the button when you need to.  The sound cues were pre-loaded into a computer and literally had a go button like any light board.  Not a highlight of my career, but it was a paycheck.
"This lovely light, it lights not me" - Orson Welles

LiLz

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Boundless Journey
  • Affiliations: AEA, USITT
« Reply #2 on: Sep 12, 2007, 04:48 pm »
Whichever job is simplest is the one you should take.  If lights are minimal and involve hitting a Go button, great.  If sound is nothing more than walk-in and entr' act, maybe that's your best bet.  I'd choose whichever position enabled me to spend the most time watching the stage, following the script, and being the voice of authority.  It's okay if others have more experience - you're the one who was chosen to lead the show and there has to be a reason for that so make sure you create an environment where you're comfortable with your responsibilities.

LiLz

avkid

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Philip LaDue
  • Affiliations: RFL, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Carpenter/Flyman at Count Basie Center For The Arts
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #3 on: Sep 12, 2007, 04:58 pm »
I don't want you taking my job, so do lights.
Philip LaDue
IATSE Local #21 Newark, NJ

starsineyes

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 13, 2007, 08:56 am »
I would not mind doing lights but it is a board that is not computerized? I have always just programed cues in the computer and been able to just hit go this time not so much...so I was thinking that there are two students who want to work with me and if it fits then I will have them do either sound or lights...So what do you all think?

Lola

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: CAEA, SOHK (school of hard knocks)
« Reply #5 on: Sep 23, 2007, 06:21 pm »
If it's not a computerized board and you can find someone else to run the lights, I say go for it.  It can be fun to run boards and call shows.  It's a bit hairy at first but you figure it out and it becomes old hat after a while but if something goes wrong, all hell can break loose.  You don't want to have to have a conversation about someone sick or missing an entrance or any of the other stuff you may have to worry about and run the cues at the same time if you don't have to. 
It's like herding cats except they can call you at home.

zayit shachor

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://thankyouten.blogspot.com
« Reply #6 on: Sep 23, 2007, 09:02 pm »
I've run my own boards before.  I actually prefer it to having ops...it's pretty fun.  Obviously you don't have to call standbys, but I usually write them in my book anyway just to give myself a heads-up.