Numbers
14 (27.5%)
Letters
22 (43.1%)
Depends on the theatre
15 (29.4%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Voting closed: Feb 28, 2007, 02:10 pm

Author Topic: CALLING: How do you call your sound cues....  (Read 20829 times)

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: sound cue debate - letters or numbers
« Reply #30 on: Mar 20, 2008, 08:01 pm »
Seeing as I always use numbers anyway, I never have an issue, but in the digital age, numbered cues are a bit easier than lettered cues in many applications.

For example, I have a piece of sound playback software which allows me to type in a cue name and press enter to skip cues, or just use enter to go. So I carry around a small USB number pad, and sit my playback machine (my laptop) up on a stand, and the number pad next to my sound desk. Typing 105 on a keypad is easier than typing CA for example.

If I am running the sound desk as well as the sound playback, I really don't have room for the laptop, except to sit it beside me on the drive racks - that puts me in a bad operating position.

As SM's, we really do need to be adaptable.

stagebear

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #31 on: Mar 21, 2008, 12:40 am »
thanks for you opinions. the good news is that it is resolved. first, there was never a fight between us, we were/are both strong in how we like to look at things, but no bad blood. in the end, the sound designer never has to think about the letters - they are just in my book and on my paperwork from him (handwritten in by me). i also have the numbers in smaller writing next to the letters for reference. i'm glad they are letters since there are several points in the show that the cues would have lined up with matching light cues. after the second day of tech i get to go into cue lab and assign the cues since he is just using the "Q" lable. so in the end, it worked out but i just have to do a bit more work, which for me is worth it on a big show with limited tech time and a long run.

johnB

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Mar 23, 2008, 10:56 pm »
I was "taught" to SM in high school using letters. For some reason, that was just the way we did it. I still use that method today and it has worked out well. As long as it is clarified that letters are being used, etc. the system works quite well. I usually will go to AA, BB, CC, DD, once I get to the end of the alphabet.
John B.

stagebear

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #33 on: Mar 24, 2008, 10:00 am »
even better reason to relable with letters - cues go as follows in the computer (in about a 2-min span):
*121-122
*fade 122
*123, 126, 127
*fade 121