Author Topic: CALLING: Headset Etiquette  (Read 41615 times)

JDL

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Re: Headset Etiquette
« Reply #30 on: Jul 16, 2007, 09:28 pm »
I don't allow anyone to speak on the headset when it's showtime other than myself as SM... I've seen too many cues missed because of conversations over stuff that doesn't pertain to the show...
AlL tHe WoRlD's A sTaGe... AnD i'M oFf BoOk!

StageMgr2Stars

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Jul 17, 2007, 08:15 am »
I don't allow anyone to speak on the headset when it's showtime other than myself as SM... I've seen too many cues missed because of conversations over stuff that doesn't pertain to the show...

I used to be like that but I guess it depends on the crew. My crew was completely competent enough not to miss cues because once I called a standby, everyone was ready.
-C-

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #32 on: Jul 17, 2007, 01:33 pm »
Okay, on a 3.5 hour show if NO ONE TALKED over headset, I would fall asleep.

I find a nice, controlled banter a nice way of keeping everyone awake and alert - most professional crews know once the standby is called, everyone stops talking.

But I know have the pleasure of working with the same crew for 3 years now - we get into a groove.

(And right now without the Act 1 Scene 7 nightly trivia questions, I think most of my crew and staff would slip into a coma.)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

LiLz

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Boundless Journey
  • Affiliations: AEA, USITT
« Reply #33 on: Jul 19, 2007, 03:31 pm »
If the headsets are hardwired, the SM can set the tone for how they're to be used.  However, if walkies are used in the US, the FCC regulates profanity (strange but true).  Should profanity be overheard because you're being monitored or accidentally overheard or something, you can get fined. 

Personally, I've had people miss Qs because they were so busy gabbing over headsets.  I don't mind a little chatter, but once the word "Warn" is spoken I insist on radio silence until I hear "Complete."  And, if people start getting carried away I'll ask them to calm down.  Because one never knows who is listening in, I do ask that there be no profanity and that the airwaves not be used to make fun of others.  That can be done over a drink after the show.

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #34 on: Jul 19, 2007, 05:42 pm »
That is why many of the new master stations have the ability to do a "Remote Mute" on all microphones. If you are worried that your crew will miss the cue as they are too busy gabbing, hit that button, their mic's switch off, and you can call your cue - and after that, you can tell them that whilst conversation is fine, they need to stay alert.

avkid

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Philip LaDue
  • Affiliations: RFL, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Carpenter/Flyman at Count Basie Center For The Arts
« Reply #35 on: Jul 20, 2007, 02:46 pm »
However, if walkies are used in the US, the FCC regulates profanity (strange but true).  Should profanity be overheard because you're being monitored or accidentally overheard or something, you can get fined. 
You're funny, the chances of that happening are about as good as you winning a small state lottery jackpot.
Philip LaDue
IATSE Local #21 Newark, NJ

Rebbe

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #36 on: Jul 21, 2007, 07:10 am »
However, if walkies are used in the US, the FCC regulates profanity (strange but true).  Should profanity be overheard because you're being monitored or accidentally overheard or something, you can get fined. 
You're funny, the chances of that happening are about as good as you winning a small state lottery jackpot.

Actually, I work on an outdoor gig where we use radios, and the FCC did in fact beep in once and ask us to identify ourselves.  We didn't get fined, but I think we were reminded that we were using public airways. 
<running out to buy a lottery ticket now...how small does the state have to be for my odds to be good?> 
"...allow me to explain about the theatre business. The natural condition is one of insurmountable obstacles on the road to imminent disaster."  (Philip Henslowe, Shakespeare In Love)

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
« Reply #37 on: Jul 21, 2007, 09:29 am »

Actually, I work on an outdoor gig where we use radios, and the FCC did in fact beep in once and ask us to identify ourselves.  We didn't get fined, but I think we were reminded that we were using public airways. 
<running out to buy a lottery ticket now...how small does the state have to be for my odds to be good?> 

Do you live in Rhode Island? ;)
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

avkid

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Philip LaDue
  • Affiliations: RFL, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Carpenter/Flyman at Count Basie Center For The Arts
« Reply #38 on: Jul 21, 2007, 03:11 pm »
Wyoming maybe.
Philip LaDue
IATSE Local #21 Newark, NJ

Sarah

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Noises Off
« Reply #39 on: Aug 10, 2007, 02:01 pm »
Okay, on a 3.5 hour show if NO ONE TALKED over headset, I would fall asleep.

I find a nice, controlled banter a nice way of keeping everyone awake and alert - most professional crews know once the standby is called, everyone stops talking.

But I know have the pleasure of working with the same crew for 3 years now - we get into a groove.

(And right now without the Act 1 Scene 7 nightly trivia questions, I think most of my crew and staff would slip into a coma.)

I completely agree. I think it also helps build morale and crew cohesion and lets everyone know that while the SM is the one in charge, the one in charge doesn't have to rule with an iron fist.

philimbesi

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Aug 10, 2007, 04:14 pm »
Only the sound op should hear what's going over the mic in a PFL and only when there is a purpose for it.  Period, Dot.  If a sound op broadcasts when he or she hears over those mics that will be the last time they ever run sound for me.  The severity of the leak dictates if the finish the show, act, scene or que... (they have the misfortune of working for an SM who's a sound guy)  ;D

As for headsets, my rule is, chatter is fine, gossip isn't.   Wanna gossip, that's what cast parties and bar trips are for when it's show time do your job.  Absolute silence after I call a stand-by till after I call go.  There are other times when chatter is ok, unless someone needs quiet for concentration. 

sourc3

• Contributor
  • Resident Master of The Universe
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Still workin' on it
« Reply #41 on: Aug 10, 2007, 07:50 pm »
My theatre doesn't use Mics... and we've learned the hard way to not have questionable conversations over the headsets. I was running spotlight for a show (They called up the day before and said "We don't have a spot op. HELP!" What's a guy to do?) and we were having marvelously dirty conversations because it was a long and boring show that none of us really wanted to be doing but had to be anyways. Well, halfway through the run of the shows, a few cast members approached us and told us we should do a radio talkshow because we were so funny. We then realized our conversations were being broadcast to the greenroom full of actors. "Ohcrapness" ensued.

Basically, we talk on headset about whatever if it's slow, but once standby hits, it's "Shut up." and everything is dead. Depending on the show and the people on the headset though....
-David

MileHighSM

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #42 on: Aug 20, 2007, 04:50 pm »
This turned into quite the little convo.  Thanks for all of your opinions...

Rhynn

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Experience: High School
« Reply #43 on: Nov 11, 2007, 09:09 pm »
A house divided against itself cannot stand.

The SM is the head of the household on a show.  Sometimes we have to discipline, but speaking negatively about an actor or crew member on headset does not solve any problems (especially since actors are not on headset to hear--so we can't call this correcting a behavior). 

However, I've noticed that something happens psychologically when you're on headset.  The bonding of the crew happens as you make jokes--which eventually turn to deriding the way an actor looks on stage, etc.  As the SM you have to control the way the humor happens and train your crew not to chat on headset--no matter how much fun it is.
-----
I'm flattered, but the answer is still no.

Hols

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Nov 13, 2007, 03:10 pm »
I'm a student working with fellow students, thus humor in general is....crude. My rule of thumb on headset is "Verbal Blackout". Before I call Verbal Blackout, the crew knows they should get whatever they need to say out of their systems. At VB, the only communication on headset becomes the SM talking and necessary, polite, show communication.

riotous