Author Topic: CALLING: Does it matter where I call?  (Read 6638 times)

dallas10086

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
  • Experience: Professional
CALLING: Does it matter where I call?
« on: Mar 13, 2010, 07:10 pm »
I'm going through tech week right now and my director and I have hit a snag with the resident technical director/set designer: since he is the go-to guy for the theatre, he is insisting that I call the play from a podium offstage, rather than in the booth with the board op. He says the other stage managers have done it this way and that he prefers it in case something goes wrong backstage. The problem is, there are very specific visual cues for lights and sound that would be made much easier from the booth rather than watching on a sketchy monitor above the podium. The director favors the booth and says that there have been other stage managers that have the called the show from the booth in this theatre before, so he's not exactly sure why it has to be the way the TD/SD says it has to be.

Should I bring up the change? Or should I suck it up and try it from offstage?

Edit added tag to subject line-Rebbe
« Last Edit: Mar 22, 2010, 01:36 pm by Rebbe »

celeronm

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Re: Does it matter where I call?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2010, 09:15 pm »
Do to the fact that you need some visual cues to call the show, I would recommend you use the booth. Plus, do you have an ASM? If so, they could be backstage while you're in the booth.

Rebbe

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2010, 09:42 pm »
It seems to me that you should call from the position where you are most comfortable, and best able to do the job.  I don’t see why the TD should dictate where you are, since it’s not an issue of safety or technology.  You might try to find out of there ‘s something else going on, like maybe it’s a lot of work for some reason to run another headset andwork light up there.  If it's a logistical hassel, you could offer to help.  He could just be overloaded with other work and worried about taking the time to get you setup up there, and if that’s the case maybe you could offer to relocate up there later, as long as you can get there eventually.   Just be diplomatic in your approach with the TD, assure him you’re confident  you can resolve problems from the booth, and you need to be there to call cues accurately. 
"...allow me to explain about the theatre business. The natural condition is one of insurmountable obstacles on the road to imminent disaster."  (Philip Henslowe, Shakespeare In Love)

geoffsm

• Contributor
  • If we could read minds, we wouldn't need headsets.
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA (Associate), SAFD (Actor-Combatant)
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2010, 09:56 pm »
Although I'm unsure of the specific politics and bureaucracies at play in your theater, I say that it's really your decision.  You know where you will be most comfortable and where you can call the show most successfully.

dallas10086

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2010, 10:14 am »
Do to the fact that you need some visual cues to call the show, I would recommend you use the booth. Plus, do you have an ASM? If so, they could be backstage while you're in the booth.

That might be his one hitch, I don't have an ASM. They never hired one!

kokobear

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2010, 11:45 am »
If you went into the situation planning to call from the booth, you must have had a plan to deal with backstage issues, ie an ASM (already unavailable), reliable crew chief, or extra hand backstage to deal with immediate issues.  It may be useful to re-state these options for all involved, in order to allay any apprehensions about your approach.

That was all stated in my best diplomat-ese! 

Personally, the booth is the place for me!

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
« Reply #6 on: Mar 14, 2010, 09:59 pm »
If you're most comfortable in the booth, call up there. The TD isn't calling the show, you are.

Since you don't have an ASM, can you have an actor or two as your connection backstage? IE if something goes wrong, they are your point person? Like a deputy, almost. I have worked shows this way before and it worked quite well as long as the whole cast knew.
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

2B

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Stage Management Network Australia
  • Affiliations: Stage Management Network Australia
Re: CALLING: Does it matter where I call?
« Reply #7 on: Mar 23, 2010, 02:34 am »
Hmmm, tricky one. Is there a position offstage where you can call from still see the visual cues live? Can the podium be moved? I understand your concern but I personally would feel helpless trapped in a booth for the whole performance with no ASM running the deck.

My questions are - if a cast member does have a problem or something goes wrong backstage, how would they let you know during the performance? Remember that your role as stage manager is greater than just calling the show. If you do end up calling from side stage, can the operator take the visual cues on their own; how many visual cues are there?

Do discuss it with your TD so that you both understand one another's positions on the matter. If you are able to address his concerns with a plan for when things go wrong, I'm sure he'll be more open to the idea of you calling from the booth.

kallulah

« Reply #8 on: Apr 27, 2010, 08:59 am »
I've done a couple of shows where both the ASM and SM are trapped in a booth somewhere and we just so happen to also be the only tech. 

Actors take care of their own scene changes.  The only way we could ever take care of anything backstage is when one of us didn't have any cues coming up. 

Is this show you're working on the kind of show that is likely to have LOTS of incidents backstage without a moderator?  Tech week is all about tightening that stuff up so if it's still an issue by preview night then you might be stuck at the podium. 

But honestly, you should do it where  you're most comfortable and you need to express to the director where that is so he/she can talk to this guy. 

Jason2025

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 04:29 pm »
I call dance from backstage, but I prefer to call regular plays and musical theatre from the booth since you can better see blocking for visuals, etc.

The main reason I call dance from backstage is we don't have an ASM on the shows, and since many cues are on entrances, I can anticipate the cues better seeing the dancers. I've had no problem calling visual cues, with the wireless headsets these days I can stick a few cues in my head and wander around as needed.

This all said, I've heard the argument before from stage managers who feel they MUST call from backstage so they can be there if something goes wrong but in my opinion, that is for your ASM or crew chief to deal with, if you have them.

Every situation will be different, so you need to decide what works best for you :)

Cheers.

J\

riotous