Author Topic: CALLING: Cast/Crew call format question  (Read 6843 times)

MacDouga

• New to Town
    • View Profile
CALLING: Cast/Crew call format question
« on: Apr 15, 2008, 01:36 pm »
I am currently working with a community theatre and trying to make the SM (and ASM) positions a bit more professional.  This is a great group with very dedicated people who have done a great job - I just wanted to make things a bit more formal.

So, I think I have pretty much got a "PA" rigged from my SM position to the dressing/green room for calls.  I will be making the calls in the form of:

"Ladies and Gentlemen of <Company> this is your half hour call.  30 minutes please."

and

"Ladies and gentlemen of “Show Name” this is your beginners call for Act One.  Beginners to the stage please: Miss F, Mr O, Mrs S and Mr S.  Standby assistant stage manager, front of house and technical staff."

This will be new for this group.  I like the formality and the tradition (which, even though they may not realize it, I think will come through).  I also like the business of addressing the beginners by name, etc.

My question is this... I notice throughout this board when calls like this are refered to it usually (always?) is in the format of .... "Show Name" Company.... Do SMs really always include BOTH the show AND company name in each call?  I personally find this awkward lengthy... however, I dont want to destroy a tradition of theatre by cutting down to just the Company and leaving the "Show Name" out of the calls.

Sandy

« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2009, 02:10 am by PSMKay »

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Cast/Crew call format question
« Reply #1 on: Apr 15, 2008, 04:06 pm »
No need to use Show and Company name for each call.

I will say show or company name (usually not both unless it is necessary) for only 1/2 hour call.  Everything else, I just say "ladies and gentlemen."

Scott (formerly Digga)

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Scott Pomerico
  • Affiliations: Actors Equity Association, Stage Manager's Association, Alpha Psi Omega
  • Current Gig: TheaterWorks Hartford
« Reply #2 on: Apr 15, 2008, 04:56 pm »
I've never mentioned the show or company name.  Could be that I've always just had one cast at the space a time though.  I've also never called Beginners to stage (what is this?).

MacDouga

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 15, 2008, 05:10 pm »
It was on one of the lists in the FORMS forum.  I liked it... it was in the place of "Places" I think. Beginners meaning those starting the act... not those new to the theatre as someone thought.

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #4 on: Apr 15, 2008, 07:23 pm »
Beginners is the time either 5 or 2 minutes to the opening of the act and is often called "places" in the movies - basically, the actors opening the act are to make their way to the stage and get into position, ready for the act to commence.

Depending on where you work, calls are made relative to beginners.

"Ladies and Gentlemen of the Flywire cast, this is your half hour call. Half hour to ACT 1 beginners." (35 mins to curtain)
versus
"Ladies and Gentlemen of the Flywire cast, this is your half hour call. Half hour please." (30 mins to curtain)

I am a fan of calling relative to beginners. However I do not think that that is the norm in the US (please correct me if I am mistaken)

Scott

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 16, 2008, 09:09 am »
I usually go with "Ladies and Gentleman of the <name of show> company...", especially in opera.

I think the extra verbiage helps the performers turn their ears the from the chatter their engaged in to the monitor in time to hear the congent part of the announcement.
(Personal style.)

J

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
« Reply #6 on: Apr 16, 2008, 11:47 am »
I am a fan of calling relative to beginners. However I do not think that that is the norm in the US (please correct me if I am mistaken)

Mac- You are correct. At least for the half hour call, it's not the norm to make the call relative to beginners or places.  The main reason for this is that with union casts, their standard call time is 30 minutes before the top of the show, not 30 minutes before places.  As far as 15 min, 5 min, I do call those relative to the places call, and make the places call between 2 and 5 minutes before GO depending on where the dressing rooms are (usually more like 2 minutes)

The theatre I work at, I need to call the show name but not the company.  Since there is one paging system serving 2 different stages and usually 2 different casts, it's necessary to denote who I'm talking to---however, since the paging system is shared, many times an ASM from one of the casts will make both calls simultaneously, as the same information is going out... as in "Ladies and Gentleman of X and Y, this is your 15 minute call. 15 minutes until the top of Act I."

geoffsm

• Contributor
  • If we could read minds, we wouldn't need headsets.
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA (Associate), SAFD (Actor-Combatant)
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #7 on: Apr 17, 2008, 02:48 am »
I make calls as follows:

"Ladies and Gentlemen, we are at half hour.  30 minutes to places, please 30 minutes to places."
"15 minutes to places, please, 15 minute to places"
"5 minutes to places, please, 5 minutes to places"
"Ladies and Gentlemen, places please."

Sarah

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Noises Off
« Reply #8 on: Apr 17, 2008, 05:00 pm »
At the half hour call, I always say, "Ladies and gentlemen of the <name of show> company, this is your half hour call. If you have not signed in and read the notes, please do so. Half hour, please."

Sometimes not everyone signs in right away, so a reminder is not a bad idea. Then I go and check the sign in sheet and see who, if anyone, I need to call. The crew obviously knows this does not pertain to them, since they have gotten to the theatre earlier and already signed in on their own sign in sheet. I do, however, encourage the crew to read the notes on the actor's sign in sheet.

I find that making calls relative to five minutes and places muddles the information. Therefore the five minute call is usually five to curtain and places falls anywhere between 2-3 minutes before curtain.