Poll

What format do you use for calling cues?

Warning, Standby, Go
8 (19%)
Standby, Go
34 (81%)
Just "Go"
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Voting closed: Nov 12, 2004, 07:11 pm

Author Topic: CALLING: Calling a warning for a cue  (Read 24497 times)

nook

• New to Town
    • View Profile
CALLING: warnings verses stanbys . . another poll
« Reply #15 on: Mar 24, 2005, 01:58 am »
Quote from: VSM
I give warnings when the spots have frame changes so they are ready when I give the Standby...

I've also been in situations where you have some complicated sound stuff happening with the EQ on the board and multiple channel level changes.  It's always nice to give consistant timings on your warnings (if you're using them) and standbys so the board op can be set and knows the countdown if they are not set.  When you start altering your standbys and calling them late, bad things can happen.  Warnings help in this situation, but that is generally the only time I have seen much need for them.  Basically it's in use to keep your board ops in check.
« Last Edit: Jun 08, 2009, 10:18 pm by PSMKay »

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
  • Experience: Professional
warnings verses stanbys . . another poll
« Reply #16 on: Mar 24, 2005, 02:11 pm »
When I started out the norm was "warning/standby/go" but the common wisdom now is "standy/go". Warnings are only useful where there is manual set-up (ties to a time when the board op had to manually lay in the next cue before the standby, where they put hands on the board itself). So I vote w Vernon - where there is a frame change (if I am calling spots, something not always done) or Sound has a massive set-up after a long wait between cues, I will call a warning. I also have had board ops that went to sleep between distant cues, and used warnings to wake them up.

isha

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #17 on: Mar 24, 2005, 09:43 pm »
Quote from: "FallenRain"
Also, you may want to keep in mind that while some of these things may not pertain to the show or space you're using now, you will doubtlessly come upon these issues again if you plan on stage managing in the future.

Hope this helps  :)

Thanks! :D
~isha

isha

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Mar 27, 2005, 03:08 am »
do you ever have problems where you don't have enought time to get a  "warning" in with all the "go's"? For example, you are cueing something with lights but need to "warn" a special effect in time to get ready. But you can't stop cueing the lights to give a warning or standby to the special effects. Do you just give the warning really early (before the complicated light sequence)? Will the special effects techie then slack off and get distracted because you had to call him so ealy? Or will they just understand that and stay focused? Thats a problem you want to communicate to them, right?
~isha

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #19 on: Mar 27, 2005, 03:05 pm »
on the one hand, you can call "warn sound B, warn main, SB lights 3-7" but then you have to call the description in front of each GO which is great as long as everyone understands where they fall - because on the other hand I once had a sound guy not paying attention and he went on the lights GO

recently I had a back-to-back L+S then a breath later an onstage Doorbell Q and called it as "SB L&S followed by Doorbell, Go, Go" but of course, we discussed this all ahead of time.  When I had a new guy on the deck, I altered it as "SB L&S followed by doorbell, L&S go, go" and that also worked.

isha

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Apr 03, 2005, 03:12 pm »
thanks! It really seems to be easier with techies, because they seem to understand better. You can pretty much rely on them to be doing what they need to be doing...

so mostly,you just need to communicate to them when you are having a problem, and then work it out. They should be able to help you with the difficulties, by doing their part without major babysitting. ok..got it..
Thanks again!
~isha

Midnight Blue

• New to Town
    • View Profile
CALLING: Calling a warning for a cue
« Reply #21 on: Aug 02, 2007, 11:56 pm »
I never took a class on Stage Management in a formal setting. I was drafted as an ASM by a PSM friend, got interested, and borrowed college textbooks to learn more.

In those textbooks, I have seen the cue sequence outlined in three parts: Warn, Standby, Go.

In practice, I have never worked with an SM who uses a Warn for a cue (and I do not either) -- we just give a Standby and Go.

Is one way more correct than the other, or is it personal preference?  It seems to me like extra clutter in the prompt book, unless you have a crew member who has a special need for a warning.
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2009, 01:25 am by PSMKay »

StageMgr2Stars

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Calling a warning for a cue
« Reply #22 on: Aug 03, 2007, 12:16 am »
I use Standy By's, Wind Ups, and G-Os. I actually think thats what the book might mean but I dunno. For me. I "Stand By" about 1m - 30sec before the cue. Then wind up "Lights 23..." just before and then give the G-O where ever its supposed to be.

I have heard of people saying Warn instead of Stand By but never both on the same call.

(I'm only in college, so don't take my word for it!  :))
-C-

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #23 on: Aug 03, 2007, 12:20 am »
I have only used one warn/standby for each cue.  Occasionally if there is a long period without any cues I will give a "long warning" at about 2 minutes, then a regular warning or standby at my usual 20-30 sec.

If your crew can't get normal cues with one warning/standby there is something wrong :).
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
« Reply #24 on: Aug 03, 2007, 12:29 am »
Warns are used when there is a situation that requires 'long' preparation - that is, more time than a standby - I don't use standby's for anything longer than 45 seconds. Instead of saying "Hey Steve, you need to get ready for Deck 13" because Steve has to make sure X and Y are done, it's "Warning, Deck 13" (or "Warn, Deck 13"), then just before the cue - "Standby Deck 13". It is also used when a long run of cues are coming up - something like this:

"Warn, LX 13 through 15, Sound 12, Deck 1, Fly's 3 through 6, Standby Vision 1 through 3. Vision 1 .. go. Vision 2... go.. Vision 3... go... Sound 12... go... lx 13, fly 3... go..."
« Last Edit: Aug 03, 2007, 12:31 am by Mac Calder »

McShell

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Aug 03, 2007, 01:42 am »
I've personally never come across a situation where I've had to call a warning, other than in school, where we were taught to use them.  Professionally I haven't had to.

But in a scenario like Mac brought up, it makes perfect sense to use them.

So I think it is probably handy sometimes, but I don't think it's the norm.

ReyYaySM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Freelance
« Reply #26 on: Aug 03, 2007, 01:49 am »
For lights, sound, and projections, I typically only give a standby.  I generally only use warnings for deck cues to ensure that the crew has plenty of prep time to be in place for transitions.  In the warning, I'll list all parts of the transition, then when it comes for the standby, I'll just say standby transition X.   A typical call sequence from when I did Cinderella was:

Warning Transition 5A
Fireplace, Door, Window, & Table OUT & the Pumpkin Panels IN
Warning Transition 5B
Pumpkin Sliders & Black IN

Standby Lights 60 & 61
Standby Transitions 5A & 5B
Warn QLites #1 & #4

Lights 60 & Transition 5A GO

Lights 61 & Transition 5B GO
QLites #1 & #4

I use Standy By's, Wind Ups, and G-Os. 
I typically refer to the wind-up as loading the cue, which I picked up from a stage manager that I was shadowing to take over the run of a show. 

JDL

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Aug 03, 2007, 02:10 am »
Calling warnings is not my thing. This summer was my first summer using the warnings because we averaged a cue every pg. and it was helpful to my sound op. to know how much time he had to finish setting up. (Bullshot Crummond) As a board op. myself, I think warnings are pointless because board ops learn to disregard it anyway. Standby and GO is quite sufficient. Just my opinion.
AlL tHe WoRlD's A sTaGe... AnD i'M oFf BoOk!

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
« Reply #28 on: Aug 03, 2007, 08:43 am »
To add to my first post it also depends if you're calling a traditional show or a time-coded show with everything automated.  For the traditional show it's the standy/go or however you do it.  For an automated show you check your monitors to make sure your clear, have a stagehand on the deck as your eyes on the ground.  Then there are no warnings or anything, it's simply "such and such moving in 3, 2, 1, moving."  If someone gets in the way or something happens you just take your hand off the deadman and everything stops.
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

philimbesi

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Aug 03, 2007, 09:27 am »
It's normally Standby - Go for me, unless I have a something that requires prep.  A lot of times it's an informal, "we're coming up on the Pumpkin change" kind of thing not a formal Warning on.   

As always I think it depends on the situation. 

riotous